Technical Discussion about Hardware and Software

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Technical Discussion about Hardware and Software

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Sun May 15, 2011 11:11 pm

This thread is for discussion about hardware and software (like MGE / MGEXE and stuff)
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Re: Various Wilderness

Postby Tes96 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:12 am

Wollibeebee wrote:http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx49/wollibeebee/skyrim/
screeenz with shaders.

Wollibeebee, that link is no good. Would you please reupload as you seem to be the only person in these projects that uses MGE XE and I love seeing shadows and shades on all the objects.
Interior Reviewer
Skyrim: Home of the Nords
Province: Cyrodiil
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby Scamp » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:41 pm

Tes96 wrote:you seem to be the only person in these projects that uses MGE XE and I love seeing shadows and shades on all the objects.

Thank you for your attention towards my screenshots. Been using MGE XE since it came out.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby Tes96 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:40 am

Scamp wrote:
Tes96 wrote:you seem to be the only person in these projects that uses MGE XE and I love seeing shadows and shades on all the objects.

Thank you for your attention towards my screenshots. Been using MGE XE since it came out.

As far as I can recall, all the screenshots I've seen over at BSF have been regular screenshots. I even asked in the thread if someone would take some screenshots using MGE XE. I think Lestat responded but I can't remember what he said.

This picture is yours, right Scamp? It looks vanilla to me. Maybe it's my crappy computer screen at work. This hospital is very cheap and gives us shitty technology to use, like windows 98 and stuff.
Interior Reviewer
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby Praedator » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 am

Scamp wrote:

I also use MGE XE :D

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 am

I also use MGE XE :D

Me too.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:45 am

I would use MGE XE if I would be able to get it working...everytime I try the message "One or more of MGE's files appear to be missing. Please reinstall" appears - No matter how often I reinstall, nothing's gonna change.

I gave up after 3 or 4 reinstalls because I got tired of this error message.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Scamp » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Tes96 wrote:As far as I can recall, all the screenshots I've seen over at BSF have been regular screenshots.

Maybe you don't remember (just prime examples) these ones right here

Tes96 wrote:I even asked in the thread if someone would take some screenshots using MGE XE. I think Lestat responded but I can't remember what he said.

You asked about SHotN screens, yes. I don't want to take screens of Lestat's areas because I am not sure about his attitude towards that. Look here for my SHotN screens though (YES, with MGE XE)

This picture is yours, right Scamp? It looks vanilla to me.

Have you played vanilla? I don't think you would even see the walls of the city. Vanilla doesn't have such bloom either. When the sun is at its zenith, you usually don't see many shadows. It's indeed not easily recognizable if that's MGE XE, but that's not vanilla.

Postby Tes96 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Scamp wrote:
Tes96 wrote:As far as I can recall, all the screenshots I've seen over at BSF have been regular screenshots.

Maybe you don't remember (just prime examples) these ones right here

Tes96 wrote:I even asked in the thread if someone would take some screenshots using MGE XE. I think Lestat responded but I can't remember what he said.

You asked about SHotN screens, yes. I don't want to take screens of Lestat's areas because I am not sure about his attitude towards that. Look here for my SHotN screens though (YES, with MGE XE)

This picture is yours, right Scamp? It looks vanilla to me.

Have you played vanilla? I don't think you would even see the walls of the city. Vanilla doesn't have such bloom either. When the sun is at its zenith, you usually don't see many shadows. It's indeed not easily recognizable if that's MGE XE, but that's not vanilla.

Okay, those four in Province:Cyrodiil definitely use MGE XE! But didn't Wollibeebee take those? I think he posted them over at BSF. Either that or my short-term memory is starting to go. All of the P:C pictures I've seen looked like MGE XE but all TESIII:Skyrim pictures, for some reason, look normal. And even now that I'm on my laptop at home, they still look normal.

This one looks good. Maybe yours aren't using that "blur the background" effect that Wollibeebee uses. Maybe my laptop just flat out sucks! What graphics card are you using, Scamp? Mine is 3GB GeForce GTX 580m with a 120 Hz matte 3D screen with a 2920xm quad core overclocked between 6.1 - 6.6 GHz with liquid helium coolant. Impressed? :lol: Probably not because I'm sure you know I'm bullshitting. This is my system and this is my graphics card. Vality would grovel at such a machine.

What's this one?! It looks bad ass. I'm guessing that's Azura's Shrine because of that moonstar She is holding.

Of course I play vanilla. That's all I play. I've never once used MGE or MGE XE because I don't have a machine that could run the game efficiently with them enabled. I have a few textures replacers going right now but most of them time I don't even use replacers or visual enhancements.
Interior Reviewer
Tamriel-Rebuilt

Postby Praedator » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:28 am

This is my brandnew system;
CPU: AMD Phenom II 6x3.200Mhz 1090T Black Box Edition
Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula 990FX 1333
GPU: Sapphire ATI HD6950 2048MB
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333
Primary: Corsair Force 3 90GB SSD 550/500
Secondary: WD 1TB 8.9/64/7200
PS: OCZ 700W

And still i manage to have 8-10 FPS sometimes haha :)

Postby Scamp » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 am

Tes96 wrote:Okay, those four in Province:Cyrodiil definitely use MGE XE! But didn't Wollibeebee take those? I think he posted them over at BSF. Either that or my short-term memory is starting to go.

Heh, believe me, if wolli could run my Morrowind setup I'd be the living Steve Jobs. Even my card is struggling, and it's a fucking Sapphire 5870 (that's a bit better than the 6950 and about as good as the GTX480, in case you need comparison)

Tes96 wrote:All of the P:C pictures I've seen looked like MGE XE but all TESIII:Skyrim pictures, for some reason, look normal. And even now that I'm on my laptop at home, they still look normal.

Yeah, sorry for that. I swear I haven't taken any SHotN screens yet without MGE XE. The shadows aren't always thaaat visible, depends on other effects and the weather.

Tes96 wrote:This one looks good. Maybe yours aren't using that "blur the background" effect that Wollibeebee uses.

Blur background? If you mean Depth of the Field, yes, I am using that, however it needs a focus point to work that way. (see this?)

Tes96 wrote:Mine is 3GB GeForce GTX 580m with a 120 Hz matte 3D screen with a 2920xm quad core overclocked between 6.1 - 6.6 GHz with liquid helium coolant. Impressed? :lol: Probably not because I'm sure you know I'm bullshitting.

Seen better.

Tes96 wrote:This is my system and this is my graphics card. Vality would grovel at such a machine.

Seen worse.

Tes96 wrote:What's this one?! It looks bad ass. I'm guessing that's Azura's Shrine because of that moonstar She is holding.

Thanks. That's for my own mod I barely work on (check the current projects list on my blog). Actually, that thing is damn old and was still taken with vanilla, probably 2 years ago. Still working on it, though.

Tes96 wrote:Of course I play vanilla. That's all I play. I've never once used MGE or MGE XE because I don't have a machine that could run the game efficiently with them enabled. I have a few textures replacers going right now but most of them time I don't even use replacers or visual enhancements.

The problem with my MW setup is, it's really a setup for screenshots only. Maybe on your bullshitting rig you mentioned above you could play it at a decent framerate, I have got a bunch of tweaked shaders and high settings and stuff it really can make my card struggle right there (like 10-20 FPS xD)

Anyway, I've got my rig posted on the right side of my blog btw, if you scroll down a bit (not all of it, but the most important parts as I am lazy).

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:13 am

Seems like I'm the only Intel/ Nvidea user in the team. :(

Anyway, this is just my personal preference
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Scamp » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Teeehehehe

Nah, they are both fine. I prefer AMD and stuff though.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Scamp wrote:Nah, they are both fine. I prefer AMD and stuff though.

I know...and it's good that preferences are different.

I'm pretty happy with my i7 2600K in combination with the Asus P8Z68-V Pro Board. I never had 50 - 120 FPS in Haafinheim before.

I'm looking forward to Intel's future CPU developments.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Praedator » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:34 am

My prefererence for AMD is the value for money rating, I find Intel/Nvidia very expensive. Doesn't mean it isn't good ofcourse!!

Postby Scamp » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:53 pm

These days Nvidia isn't much more expensive than ATI/AMD/whatever you call it, though. I prefer ATI cards for various techniqual enhancements such as Eyefinity which is a synonym for WIN.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Nvidea also has the option of eyefinity these days, but the original idea was from ATI as far as I know

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/12
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Re: Technical Discussion about Hardware and Software

Postby Scamp » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Eyefinity is way more balanced and further developed as they made it first.

Postby Tes96 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:36 pm

Scamp wrote:
Tes96 wrote:
Tes96 wrote:Mine is 3GB GeForce GTX 580m with a 120 Hz matte 3D screen with a 2920xm quad core overclocked between 6.1 - 6.6 GHz with liquid helium coolant. Impressed? :lol: Probably not because I'm sure you know I'm bullshitting.

Seen better.

The problem with my MW setup is, it's really a setup for screenshots only. Maybe on your bullshitting rig you mentioned above you could play it at a decent framerate, I have got a bunch of tweaked shaders and high settings and stuff it really can make my card struggle right there (like 10-20 FPS xD)
"Seen better"? The gtx 580 is the best graphics card out there that I've read any ways. The 590, albeit newer, overheats too much and has bad reviews. And I don't think there is a 240 Hz matte screen so 120Hz is the highest screen performance you can go. Yeah, for a laptop, 2920xm is the newest. I think i990x is the latest processor on the market. But how can you have seen somebody who has better raw processing power than 6GHz for everyday gaming use? I mean, look at this video. They have giant tanks of liquid helium/nitrogen and they just barely passed the 7.0GHz barrier. You obviously cannot have that type of set up in your living room.
So what type of system did you physically see that was better than the made-up one I mentioned?

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:Nvidea also has the option of eyefinity these days, but the original idea was from ATI as far as I know
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/12

Yeah but I don't like having three screens stuck together like that. You get the plastic part of the panel in the middle of the picture two times. Sure would be nice if some video display engineer genius could invent a screen that was curved and wrapped around in a circle so that you'd have full circular surround visuals. Either that or just get rid of the usage of screens and monitors and use helmets that give you a virtual reality view. But helmets are annoying to wear. The next thing to be would be to implant little microchips into the back of our skulls and let us experience the game in our minds. No monitor, no computer, no mouse, no keyboard, no game disc, no load times, just a virtual realistic elder scrolls game being ran in our brains' processing power.
Interior Reviewer
Tamriel-Rebuilt

Re: Technical Discussion about Hardware and Software

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:00 pm

But what if super-intelligent robots put our bodies in capsules in order to harvest our brainpower?
[11:05:43] Wolli: ah yeharp, i felled the [NUG-RI-BOOGAR] felf too MK!

Next

Return to General Discussion