Your impressions of TES V

Muspila

Your impressions of TES V

Postby Muspila » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:34 am

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:
Scamp wrote:
Muspila wrote:Sorry, I'm only modding for Roleplay-Games.

What? Skyrim is probably one of the best role-playing-games ever made, and yes, from my 9 hours of gameplay, I think it is indeed an RPG.

In that point I have to agree with Muspila.

All below is only my personally opinion on the first day of gameplay, others may see the game with different eyes.

Even Fallout 3 is more RPG than the new TES title. It's a solid action adventure. The main problem I have with calling it a RPG is that I don't actually have the possibilities to play many roles. The attributes were shrinked to three developable attributes (Magicka, Health and Endurance). Also it is weird to me that selling something to a trader WITHOUT any bartering will automatically increase my Speechcraft. I've also noticed something similar with other skills. So it is hard for me if I want to play a constantly drunken chav Dovakiin who has almost no ability in Speechcraft for example.

Also the disappearance of the classes and the classical birthsigns is totally different to the previous games. The perks are packed in random birthsigns the keep them in game at least. Bad times if the player wants to be a peaceful monk with a typical birthsign.

There are many things I like in TES5 like crafting and fishing, or the style Bethesda did the exteriors, interiors and 3d models...I enjoy playing the game because I don't have the expectations of a RPG like Daggerfall or Morrowind to any popular new game anymore.
Last edited by Muspila on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muspila

Re: Your impressions on TES V

Postby Muspila » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Having tried the game myself, I think that TES V indeed is mostly a fantasy-actiongame, not much a roleplay-game anymore, measured against earlier sequels.

Nevertheless my impression like the impression of most others is that it is overall a quite good game and to me it also seemed that a complex character system would not have worked well with the overall dynamic of the game like the character system in Oblivion already did not really work anymore, in my view.

Skyrim like Oblivion starts in the midst of action and stays action-oriented in the course of the game. Neither in Skyrim nor in Oblivion I am really interested in reading any of the books that are found in houses and I feel less stimulated to selectively develop my character, because in some way the game always seems to urge me on.

In Morrowind you were always given time to look around yourself be it by starting your game in a village that allowed you to buy your equipment before running into action or by Caius Cosades telling you to take your time for getting to know the world and your career several times in the course of the main quest.

This however does not make Skyrim are worse game. As an action-fantasygame it does a good job, I especially like the dialogue-system, interaction of characters and that there are children. And what I like about the combat is that it is no longer about just slashing your enemy with the sword and monotonously avoiding their attacks like in Oblivion, but being forced to selecting good moments for an attack.
Last edited by Muspila on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Scamp » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Like Lestat said, everyone can have a different view on these things. Of course Skyrim is a role-playing game. And to be perfectly honest, I do not think I have had as much fun playing Morrowind as I have playing Skyrim, and this is what matters after all.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby Dirnae » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:50 pm

This will just end up as a giant pissing contest. But that's the case with any series with a loyal fanbase, so fuck it.

Personally I like that they're trying to change it up, frankly a lot of the mechanics in Morrowind and Oblivion were both stupid and counter-intuitive. But, from what I've heard, they've chosen a different route than I would have. I'll be waiting for the price to drop myself.

Morrowind+Oblivion: Multipliers, herpa derp. Unmeaningful Character Creation, herp derpa derp.
Skyrim: Smooth leveling, good! They took away how many attributes? ... uhh... right. No classes? Hmmmm....

I'm an old style RPGer, I like 'micromanagement' (bah!), and hate simplified systems. I'm prone to call it action-adventure too, but I haven't played it.
[11:05:43] Wolli: ah yeharp, i felled the [NUG-RI-BOOGAR] felf too MK!

Postby Dirnae » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Just an on the spot of the type of thing I'd have preffered, not really dwelled on the subject:

Levelling: GCD. But different. GCD has problems, I know, gasp, w/e. Completely smooth levelling, if we're honest, ends up just as fumbly as using a level-up menu. Who hasn't played GCD, realised their mage has no endurance and strength, and then has had to don heavy armor and a mace just to raise it? GCD is great, but it needs something, mixed with getting a lesser amount of distribution points when you level up perhaps, or by downplaying the need for certain attributes. Having to swing around a mace for strength points is unimmersive, and not doing so can be deadly. The second is probably like skyrim, but I don't feel comfortable about the removal of attributes, they should've just made some attributes more useful.

Character creation: I'd re-add the daggerfall advantages/disadvantages. Re-add the part which generates starting items too. They were brilliant. Companies are too afraid of creating a system, which has been pointed at and scorned as 'micromanagement', or over-complicating things. Yet in doing so they are simplifying games to a nauseating extent, I wouldn't mind if they gave us the option in game. If there was a problem with the daggerfall character creation, it was just the messy UI.

Perhaps in the future OpenMW or Aedra can make such options a possibility. But yeah, I'm sure I'll enjoy skyrim a lot, just not as I would the usual RPG game.

These are pretty small issues compared to combat and such which I haven't tried out yet, just looked like oblivion with gimmicks to me though.
Graphically it's probably faultless, and I'll probably enjoy it. I didn't buy Morrowind or Oblivion on their release dates btw.

Postby SGMonkey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Muspila wrote:In Morrowind you were always given time to look around yourself be it by starting your game in a village that allowed you to buy your equipment before running into action or by Caius Cosades telling you to take your time for getting to know the world and your career several times in the course of the main quest.

This is my only real problem with the game. However, in skyrim i do find it quite fun to just roam around the wilderness doing nothing atall really. And about the books, i generally always read them, but i kinda know what you mean.

Im quite impressed with the game so far, apart from the few minor bugs and graphical glitches. AND TEXTURE SEAMS!!!!!!!! On all the rocks! SEAMS!!!!!!
Tonal Architect wrote:Most people are sticklers for lore correctness, I take joy in re-writing it to my liking. Way more fun.

Genius...

Re: Your impressions of TES V

Postby SamirA » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:10 am

The game has turned out to be much better than anticipated. A huge improvement over Oblivion. I still miss a few things here and there, but overall a very good experience.

Postby Praedator » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 am

I must say I like Skyrim, but much less than Morrowind.

Skyrim has less skills, attributes, birthsigns, classes, and items.
Also Skyrim has things that annoy me like containers and especially flora (mushrooms) you cannot pick.
I dislike the menu system: not possible to see all your stuff or skills in one screen, it exits also when you click a bit to far to the edge f the screen.

Perks: you can train anything to use any perk you like, does not make sense to me.

FPS is heavily affected by shadows, and thus the amount of objects and lights in a cell. (I believe modding will be difficult like this)

Quests tend to break easily, and the indicator whereto go is handy but I don't like it, search for yourself!!

I dislike the bartering system, and the fact hat you learn speech instead of mercantile.

A good thing is that you have to combine ingredients to learn their effects.

In all the world looks great, the atmosphere is great, so are the dragons. I enjoy wandering around discovering and looting, so in all I like the game to play. But not much as a roleplayer, more like a hero that fights his way to the main cause. Skyrim has made the TES roleplay much lss interesting than MW, but much better than Oblivion.

Another point is the low voice, difficult to follow. Also the regions are not so much defined by their habitats, it all kinda mixes everywhere.

Well as you see much to improve in Skyrim, but I still enjoy it.

Postby Dirnae » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:27 am

I daresay it's a conflict of opinions, and as they say opinions are never wrong.
Some people want it to be something bethesda didn't want it to be. A hardcore RPG experience, not a casual ARPG.

Postby Praedator » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:02 pm

and where is my Skyrim CS?

Postby Dirnae » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:10 pm

They do have to make edits to these things for public release, I'm guessing they had no time with how close they were cutting it with their special release date. Even now they're probably working on patches. I'm sure it will be out soon.

I'm not sure I've heard anyone call it a bad game btw, merely say it's not what they wanted.

Postby Scamp » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:17 pm

Praedator wrote:I must say I like Skyrim, but much less than Morrowind.

That's fine.

Skyrim has less skills, attributes, birthsigns, classes, and items.

I love it.

Also Skyrim has things that annoy me like containers and especially flora (mushrooms) you cannot pick.

Ho, there static crates and stuff in Morrowind too, no?

it exits also when you click a bit to far to the edge f the screen.

What?

Perks: you can train anything to use any perk you like, does not make sense to me.

Hu, what?

FPS is heavily affected by shadows, and thus the amount of objects and lights in a cell. (I believe modding will be difficult like this)

Firstly: How do you know FPS is heavily affected by shadows? Secondly, aren't the MGE xe shadows you are using even more FPS-hitting?

Quests tend to break easily, and the indicator whereto go is handy but I don't like it, search for yourself!!

None of my quests has broken yet.

I dislike the bartering system, and the fact hat you learn speech instead of mercantile.

I love that.

A good thing is that you have to combine ingredients to learn their effects.

Indeed.

Another point is the low voice, difficult to follow.

What?

Also the regions are not so much defined by their habitats, it all kinda mixes everywhere.

I love them.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:27 pm

I really hope that this thread won't escalate in a flame war, we are a team, not the BGSF Community.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby SamirA » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:59 pm

How about everyone shut the hell up about it? Unless something in Skyrim is going to be used in SHotN it needs to just cease to be discussed before some relationships are destroyed. No more comments just to irk Scamp, I know that is what SHotN is based on (pissing each other off), but it is really getting old now. This projects dicussion over another game is becoming destructive.

Postby Dirnae » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:23 pm

I don't see it as anything serious but some do I guess. Sure, let's keep quiet then.

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:27 pm

SamirA wrote:. ...This projects dicussion over another game is becoming destructive.

This is exactly what I worried. It think it's time to close this thread before it will become a time bomb.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Return to General Discussion