Atmora (Elder Forest)

Atmora (Elder Forest)

Postby SGMonkey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:33 pm

As you all know I've been planning working on the Skyrim height map lately, and I wanted to get a bit of practise in. I haven't made any proper height maps for a while. So I mocked this up really quick.

Not really 100% on the shape of Atmora due to there only being 1 map i know of depicting it. This one. So I made it according to that and it is roughly to the same scale as all the Tamriel height maps I have made so far.

Wanted to see what you guys would think to the style and shape of the mountain ranges more than anything.

So what do you think?
Tonal Architect wrote:Most people are sticklers for lore correctness, I take joy in re-writing it to my liking. Way more fun.

Genius...

Re: Atmora (Elder Forest)

Postby Dirnae » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:14 pm

I fucking hate the idea of an Atmora mod, but the execution is good, making one of the coastlines smoother might be good, idk, looks pretty uniform atm though that's a small complaint.
[11:05:43] Wolli: ah yeharp, i felled the [NUG-RI-BOOGAR] felf too MK!

Postby Rattfink333 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:09 am

Nice map. Been asking about that at the lore forum at Beth. Might want to trot over there. They are saying that map wouldn't be quite accurate, at least according to the rolls of landmasses they trotted out so far. I personally would like to see all of mundus made. but i don't think the engine will handle it.
Paladin of Vaermina

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Cool look SGM, the mountains look pretty natural.

@ Rattfink

It's shouldn't be a problem for the engine since it only renders a limited number of cells anyway,...if the engine load 4x4 cells it doesn't matter if it's 4x4 from 5.000 cells or 4x4 from 100.000 cells.

The problem are the limited number of modders in the MW scene
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Dirnae » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:04 pm

There are problems, lots of dialogue entries cause issues for example. I can't imagine load times being fun either. And there's the bone shaking issue which gets terrible in areas like summerset.

Postby SGMonkey » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 pm

^^^ This was actually intened as a bit of a yoke... but still kinda looked cool for a 15 minute job.

About the dialogue and laoding times. I shouldnt think it would make too much of a difference. Dialogue is only text which takes no time to load really, its more the land records and objects placed in the world that slow things down.

A while back i made a load of copies of Vanilla morrowind and copied them over and over in different locations. As far south west as Summerset, IIRC i made about 20 copies in different places. Then loaded them all up and it didnt take very long to load atall. No noticeable difference.

Dirnae did you have a look at that balmora copy I made? The one in Summerset.
Tonal Architect wrote:Most people are sticklers for lore correctness, I take joy in re-writing it to my liking. Way more fun.

Genius...

Postby Tes96 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:14 am

SGMonkey wrote:^^^ This was actually intened as a bit of a yoke... but still kinda looked cool for a 15 minute job.

About the dialogue and laoding times. I shouldnt think it would make too much of a difference. Dialogue is only text which takes no time to load really, its more the land records and objects placed in the world that slow things down.

A while back i made a load of copies of Vanilla morrowind and copied them over and over in different locations. As far south west as Summerset, IIRC i made about 20 copies in different places. Then loaded them all up and it didnt take very long to load atall. No noticeable difference.

Dirnae did you have a look at that balmora copy I made? The one in Summerset.

Wow, twenty times? What are your system specifications, SGMonkey?
Interior Reviewer
Skyrim: Home of the Nords
Province: Cyrodiil
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby SGMonkey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 am

Quite a dated system now.

Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
4GB OCZ ram @ 1066mhz 5-5-5-18
nVidia BFG 260 OC
Asus P5e X38 board
500 GB samsung spinpoint F1 (OS)
1 TB sansung spinpoint F1 (Documents)

As i said, performance wasnt an issue because the FPS didnt drop at all. I tried the same on an old K7 AMD pc i had at the time and got roughly the same FPS. And about the dialogue, the issue is working on dialogue with so many entries can really slow things down in the editor, not really the game. Dirnae pointed that out on skype. The fag...

Genius...

Postby Dirnae » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:50 pm

I said the dialogue window itself slows down, Anteres Big Mod used to have this issue.
I'm not sure what causes it, it's been fixed in his mod since, perhaps it was adding too many dialogue options, in which case that'd be fine.

Postby Gabrielman » Fri May 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:
The problem are the limited number of modders in the MW scene

Not sure what you all are still doing on this project, but so far as the number of modders, there is always hope for more. I am not very good at modding. I can add buildings, items, do a bit in blender, do some dialogue, make npcs, but no scripting, I suck at scripting, I can also add travel services. If you guys need help, or advertisement, I am willing. I love this project, almost as much as TR. I would love to see as much land added to Morrowind as possible. Nothing compares to it IMO.

Also, Hello! I am Gabrielman, you can call me Gabs, or whatever it takes to get my attention. I am doing a let's play of Morrowind, and would more than happily showcase your mod on the youtube me and my step son have. Complete or not, it would still be great!

One more thing, love the phpBB set up! My forum is also by that software, and it is perhaps the best out there.

That is all for now. I will be around, checking out your forums, and adding them to my list of places to promote if you would like that.

Return to General Discussion