Skyrim Map: City Placement

Skyrim Map: City Placement

Postby french ninja » Sat May 26, 2012 4:16 am

I tried to get this done earlier, but college-related stuff got in the way.
In addition, I included the ruins that I feel ought to be included, due to their importance to the lore or other reasons.

*Sarthaal - first Atmoran settlement in Skyrim, currently being excavated by scholars at the College of Winterhold
*Yngol Barrow - Resting place of Yngol, the first casualty of the 500 Companions and Ysgramor's son
*Ysgramor's Tomb - Resting place of the leader of the 500 Companions
*Ustengrav - Burial site of Jurgen Windcaller, the founder of the Greybeards, veteran of the Battle of Red Mountain
*Korvanjund - Nordic ruin that now contains King Borgas (who was a heretical king killed during the Wild Hunt) and the Jagged Crown
*Labyrinthian - Famous maze first featured in TES I: Arena; built by 1st Era mage Shalidor
*Sundered Plains/Towers - Birthplace of famous Reachman rebel Faolan
*Bleak Falls Barrow - One of the first ruins someone visits in TES V
*Karthspire - abandoned headquarters of the Blades in Skyrim
*Forelhost - last bastion of Alduin worship in Skyrim
*Geirmund's Hall - burial site of Archmage Geirmund, seen as a purveyor of justice
*Folgunthur - burial site of Mikrul Gauldurson
*Old Rorikstead - TES V references a settlement called Rorikstead during the 1st Era, but the town of Rorikstead is lead by Rorik, who says he founded the town. Perhaps he built it over ruins?

Skyrim is the location of 4 of Tamriel's 5 highest peaks. They are the following:
High Hrothgar
Mount Anthor
Eldersblood Peak
Southfringe?
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Re: Skyrim Map: City Placement

Postby Worsas » Sat May 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Thankyou for looking into this, French.

I have asked French ninja to create this location map since he is familiar with key-locations more than anybody else on the team. Many locations in the west are just the way they have been placed by our exterior-modders by now (they were provided by me and lestat). This map is supposed to be as accurate as possible for our version of Skyrim. Differences from the TES V-map or the arena-map are acceptable as long as they stay within limitations, I think.

I would like to suggest a few modifications. Let me know if you agree or disagree. These are just thoughts:
-Why is Stonehills north of the mountain range east of Hjalmarch and not in it? Stonehills, just like Riverwood, is a name that should speak of the surroundings.
-Why isn't it possible to have Dragon Bridge as a location next to an actual bridge leading over a narrow section of the karth-river? I know that the river in Haafinheim is pretty wide, though. but it annoys me though. Isn't there a way to solve this? The location of Dragonbridge on the map above was not chosen by French ninja, btw but provided by Lestat.
-Morthal, like Stonehills, a bit further southeast, maybe?

-Karthspire is a separate issue. Unfortunately it is right in place of scamps winery on that map. Vorndgad Forest contains a pretty peaky peak (fitting the term 'Spire') with only a few trees standing on it. It wouldnt offer enough place for a temple outside, but could still contain a hideout and an underground-temple.

-you forgot Old Fort :P

Let me know what you think so far.

Postby Yeti » Sat May 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Worsas wrote: Why isn't it possible to have Dragon Bridge as a location next to an actual bridge leading over a narrow section of the karth-river? I know that the river in Haafinheim is pretty wide, though. but it annoys me though. Isn't there a way to solve this?

Perhaps Dragon Bridge could be built on the river? Kind of like Lake-town from the Hobbit.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby Rattfink333 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:11 pm

That would be cool. kinda like london bridge used to be.
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby french ninja » Sun May 27, 2012 3:26 am

Or a nordic Arefu? :P

Supposedly the bridge was pretty ancient, so maybe people live inside the ancient houses? Imagine the giant bridge leading into Windhelm, but with the crevices having tiny dwellings.

Edit: New Map; Updated OP

For the placement of the Old Fort, I considered three things:
a) If it's such an impressive structure, you bet the Imperials want it
b) The Old Fort was built to guard the southern border during the First Empire of Skyrim. From what? Most likely Ayleid slavers.
c) The southern town of Helgen is built around a massive ruined castle...hmm....

Therefore, I placed the Old Fort as part of the town of Helgen. Helgen oversees travel between Skyrim and Cyrodiil, while Helgen is where the garrison's family lives

Postby Worsas » Sun May 27, 2012 11:21 am

-As for Dunstiorr call it Dunstiorra. The other thing was a bad idea from me. Dunstiorra sounds better, after all.
-IMO it would be better if we didn't mess around with Newkreath.

I agree about the placement of everything so far. We've got to hear Lestats feedback on Dragonbridge and Karthspire, though.

Edit: One more exception is Cascabel. I personally would place it farther south just along the border with The Reach since Apples are supposed to grow around Cascabel. :geek:

Postby french ninja » Sun May 27, 2012 6:33 pm

Updated OP map.

Return to General Discussion