Dialogue Topic - Skyrim Lore

Dialogue Topic - Skyrim Lore

Postby french ninja » Sun May 27, 2012 4:25 am

Here are the first 20 "Skyrim Lore" topics npcs could randomly sprout off. I will be adding onto this post 20 "tidbits" at a time.

1) While you might have some Hold King claiming to be High King, we haven't had a REAL "King of Skyrim" since the days of the Wolf Queen of Solitude, Potema.

2) In the Old Holds of Skyrim, sovereignty is conferred on the oldest child of the last king.

3) In the New Holds of Skyrim, upon the King or Queen's death, the jarls and thanes of that Hold convene to elect a new leader at a Moot. The moot is a solemn and important time for the nordic nobility, as anyone from the King's son or daughter to the lowliest thane has the ability to become the next ruler of the hold.

4) Skyrim is made up of two cultural blocks; Old Holds and New Holds. Old Holds, like Eastmarch and the Rift, abide by the ways of traditional Nords in dress, custom, art, and song. New Holds, like Haafingar and the Reach, while not completely Imperialized, have greatly adopted traditions from the neighboring provinces, if only for some economic or political advantage. You won't find a youth from Falkreath going into the hinterlands to slay some barrow wraith just so his bride-to-be's family accepts his proposal, that's for sure!

5) The Reach's thick forests are so famous throughout Tamriel that bosmeri traders travel all the way from Valenwood to bring back lumber for their clan dwellings.

6) Markarth was originally a Direnni stronghold that held out against the Nords until it was finally captured by the famous Wulfharth of Atmora. The king's hall in the city, Elf-Hill Keep, is covered with aldmeri carvings thousands of years old.

7) Have you ever been to Dunstiorr? The most striking feature has to be the massive skeleton of a legendary sea monster called [name], which was slain by Frodir Who-Came-With-Gifts. Being stuck in a horrendous ice storm caused by Falmer mages, his crew decided to seek shelter inside the creature's still warm carcass, thus surviving the tempest. In posthumous homage, the Nordic warriors brought their families and made the area their home.

8) If you search Skyrim's hinterlands, you might find yourself a giant. Called "Old Fathers" by Nords, they are generally docile, as long as you don't own some tasty looking livestock or manage to get accidentally squashed by them. You would think they would be seen as a nuisance but native Nords are always reserved and reverent when speaking of them. It's common among farmers to take one of their prized cows, paint them with a swirling pattern, and send them into a giant camp as an offering.

9) Shor, the Children's God, is the head of the nordic pantheon. Nords believe that when they die, they will go to his realm, Sovngarde, and feast and fight under his patriarchic gaze atop the Ten Tusk Chair.

10) Kyne is an incredibly popular deity in Skyrim, second only to Shor, her Tusk-Husband. While she is similar to the Cyrodiilic Kynareth, in that she is greatly associated with creation and nature, Kyne is also extremely popular with warriors and gifted them the ability to Shout, or thu'um.

11) Nordic warriors sometimes coat their shield's edge with Akaviri Eutrema, an incredibly spicy root that causes the consumer to go into a furious bloodrage.

12) Maybe, you've heard differently, but not all of Skyrim is ice-encrusted. Holds like the Reach, Falkreath, and the Rift are quite comfortable, and the volcanic hot springs of southern Eastmarch have been popular for millennia.

13) A lot of clothing made in Skyrim NOT from the pelts of animals comes from tundra cotton, which is quite common in drier parts of province.

14) Emperor Pelagius III was so obsessed with jazby grapes that he demanded that all of the berries cultivated in Skyrim were to become personal property of the Ruby Red Throne. You can just imagine how well that went over with the vintners of the Rift or how banning the consumption of fruit found in the wild is the ultimate exercise in futility.

15) Falkreath used to be a member of the colovian estates and even to this day the city has a high population of Cyrodiilians.

16) Ancient Nords used to worship the gods in the form of animal totems. Eventually this iconography was phased out in favor of a more nordic appearance but you can still see remnants of their former depictions in art. For example, it's commonly believed that Dibella used to be represented as a secunda moth and today at the Temple of Dibella in Markarth, priestesses wear shifts adorned with embroidery emulating the "eyes" of the moth's wings.

17) The Reachmen are the most genetically varied people in Tamriel. Every race of the Reach, including the Bretons, Redguards, Nords, Orcs, and Aldmer, have had a role in shaping their appearance.

18) Nords aren't the only ones who worship Shor, you know. In Falkreath and the Colovian West, many Cyrodillians worship Shor instead of Shezzar.

19) The wormmouth is a scaled beast common in western Skyrim and eastern High Rock and Hammerfell. It might be a distant relative to the large creatures of Morrowind like the Alit, as the wormmouth is also bipedal and uses its massive jaws as weapons. Its thick hides are popular as leather armor for Reachman warriors and Forsworn rebels.

20) Haafingar is one of the largest cities in Skyrim and one of the largest ports in Tamriel. Countless trade routes spread out like those of a spider, supplying cod, lumber, and other goods to faraway ports like Anvil, Firsthold, and Kanesh.
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Re: Dialogue Topic - Skyrim Lore

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » Sun May 27, 2012 8:10 am

I like them.

One problem with 20) - it mentions Kanesh, which is part of Yokuda. Didn't Yokuda sink thousands of years ago?
Tes96 wrote:By the Silver Caverns, what exactly is a heightmap?!

Postby Worsas » Sun May 27, 2012 11:25 am

2) In the Old Holds, sovereignty is conferred on the oldest child of the last king.

3) In the New Holds, upon the King or Queen's death, the jarls and thanes of that Hold convene to elect a new leader at a Moot. The moot is a solemn and important time for the nordic nobility, as anyone from the King's son or daughter to the lowliest thane has the ability to become the next ruler of the hold.

In the Old Holds of Skyrim, ...
In the New Holds of Skyrim, ...

Only a minutae.

Where is the lore about thick woods in Falkreath from?
I mean, Oakwood and Riverwood are both in our southern Pale, not in Falkreath.

Postby french ninja » Sun May 27, 2012 6:20 pm

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:I like them.

One problem with 20) - it mentions Kanesh, which is part of Yokuda. Didn't Yokuda sink thousands of years ago?

Most of Yokuda sunk, but not all. In TES IV, it's said that Anvil still sends ships to Yokuda.

Where is the lore about thick woods in Falkreath from?
I mean, Oakwood and Riverwood are both in our southern Pale, not in Falkreath.

I thought Falkreath was forested? Nevertheless, I could just change it to the Reach or the Pale, but the later seems redundant when bosmer could just take lumber from the giant nibenay basin.

Postby Yeti » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Hey French Ninja, are you completely finished with these topics. I can create a plugin containing them that Lestat can merge into Skyrim data, if they're ready to be added into the game.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby french ninja » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:03 am

Well I was hoping of adding to it as we go along. For now it's fine I guess. I fixed some of the dialogue in the OP too.

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:13 am

no. 17 - do Tamriellans know enough about genetics that it is a word used in everyday conversation? Perhaps you could use 'most varied ancestry' or something.
Tes96 wrote:By the Silver Caverns, what exactly is a heightmap?!

Return to General Discussion