German Translation?

German Translation?

Postby Numenorean » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Hello SHotN,

We're a small team of german translators and modders, who at the moment translate TR: Sacred East (TR thread) into German. But it's quite a long-term project, so we thought a smaller, still comparable release on the way would be nice for the community to enjoy a first glimpse on these fantastic province mods in our language version of Morrowind.

To cut a long story short, we could offer a finished translation of SHotN, Vorndgad Forest 1.0 ("Himmelsrand, Heimat der Nord: Vorndgadwald" in German ;) ) in less than a week and would like to ask for your permission to release it on Scharesoft and WorldofElderscrolls, two of the greatest German-speaking TES sites. We can assure you that the translation quality is actually of real high standard in terms of lore and language. Naturally we would credit you as it is right and proper.

Of course we continue with TR DV until it's done, our request to release a German SHotN version is not some kind of excuse, but instead hopefully a small surprise and invitation for our community to travel through the Vorndgad Forest and get to know a more in-depth interpretion of Skyrim in MW. :)
So, what do you say?

Numenorean, Ortega1302, Bizzy

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Re: German Translation?

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Sure,

go for it. :) I think it is a good thing to have a group of modders who are willing to translate mods to other language versions.

I could not speak for others in the team, but I think they will also give their permission.

Wait a week to give anyone the chance to read this topic and to make a post. If there will be no veto you could take this as official permission for this and upcoming releases if you want.

To me it is important that the read me should clearly point out that ShotN models and textures are not free to use resources. After a final release of the provience they probably will be free resources, but not at the moment to keep this mods assets more or less "unique" in the Morrowind scene for a long time.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Scamp » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Hey ho,

sehr schön! Hab mich damals geärgert, dass es TR nicht auf Englisch gab, weil ich an die deutsche Version gewöhnt war. Aber man gewöhnt sich dran ;)

Ich glaube nicht, dass der Veröffentlichung einer deutschen Version irgendwas im Weg steht... ich würde trotzdem gerne noch die Meinung von ein paar anderen hören. Ob die Übersetzung wirklich so hochqualitativ ist, wie du behauptest, können Lestat, Worsas und ich sogar recht problemlos selbst überprüfen :D

And the whole thing in English for the neglected:

splendid! I used to be quite upset about the fact that TR doesn't exist in German, because I was kinda used to playing the German version of the game. But you do get used to it ;)

I don't think there would be any issues regarding the release of a German translation, honestly... I would still like to hear some other people's opinions on the matter before giving the green light though. Btw, Lestat, Worsas and me will have absolutely no problems checking out the quality of the translation at all!

Also, yay for showing off my German skillz
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby Lord Berandas » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 pm

I think more localization can bring more attention to our mod, so that's great, hm? :-)

Postby Numenorean » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:Wait a week to give anyone the chance to read this topic and to make a post. If there will be no veto you could take this as official permission for this and upcoming releases if you want.

All right, good idea. We'll wait a week and see if everyone agrees. ;)

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:To me it is important that the read me should clearly point out that ShotN models and textures are not free to use resources. After a final release of the provience they probably will be free resources, but not at the moment to keep this mods assets more or less "unique" in the Morrowind scene for a long time.

Considering the quality and mass of your new meshes/textures (for example the nice mongolian-inspired Orc Camp...), this is completely understandable. I'll point out especially that SHotN's bricks aren't free resources.

Scamp wrote:Hey ho,
sehr schön! Hab mich damals geärgert, dass es TR nicht auf Englisch gab, weil ich an die deutsche Version gewöhnt war. Aber man gewöhnt sich dran ;)
Ich glaube nicht, dass der Veröffentlichung einer deutschen Version irgendwas im Weg steht... ich würde trotzdem gerne noch die Meinung von ein paar anderen hören. Ob die Übersetzung wirklich so hochqualitativ ist, wie du behauptest, können Lestat, Worsas und ich sogar recht problemlos selbst überprüfen :D

And the whole thing in English for the neglected:
splendid! I used to be quite upset about the fact that TR doesn't exist in German, because I was kinda used to playing the German version of the game. But you do get used to it ;)
I don't think there would be any issues regarding the release of a German translation, honestly... I would still like to hear some other people's opinions on the matter before giving the green light though. Btw, Lestat, Worsas and me will have absolutely no problems checking out the quality of the translation at all!
Also, yay for showing off my German skillz.

Hey Skamp, bin immer angenehm überrascht, wenn sich bei TR oder SHotN jemand die Mühe macht, extra auf deutsch zu antworten. :D
Hohe Übersetzungsqualität... tja, wollte wirklich nicht überheblich-selbstsicher sein oder so, aber es wird definitiv kein Fiasko wie die berüchtigte deutsche Oblivion-Lokalisierung ^^... und wir versuchen zumindest bewusst, es ungefähr auf MW-Niveau zu halten. Ich kann hier morgen gerne ein paar Buchübersetzungen und -dialoge oder unsere Übersetzungsreferenz reinstellen, sofern ihr daran Interesse habt.

English:
Hey Scamp, I'm always pleasantly surprised when someone on TR or SHotN bothers to answer in German. :D
high quality... hm, no intention to be arrogant or too self-confident, but our attempt will definitely not end up in something like the infamous german version of Oblivion ^^... and we try to be consistent with Morrowind's translation style. I can present you some book translations, -dialogues or our main localization reference tomorrow, if you're interested.

Lord Berandas wrote:I think more localization can bring more attention to our mod, so that's great, hm? :-)

Thank you, Lord Berandas. ;)

Postby Scamp » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:20 am

I'm gonna keep this in English from now on...

Numenorean wrote:Hey Scamp, I'm always pleasantly surprised when someone on TR or SHotN bothers to answer in German. :D
high quality... hm, no intention to be arrogant or too self-confident, but our attempt will definitely not end up in something like the infamous german version of Oblivion ^^... and we try to be consistent with Morrowind's translation style. I can present you some book translations, -dialogues or our main localization reference tomorrow, if you're interested.

Not sure if I would have a lot of time right now to check it out, honestly.

Also, regarding the German translation of Oblivion: They translated a simple health potion with "sch. trank d.le.en" or something like that, standing for "Schwerer Trank der Lebensenergie" (been a long while so this is probably not entirely accurate). So how exactly was the player supposed to understand that abbreviation??

Postby Luxray » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:15 pm

I say go for it, and good luck :D
Omnia In Nihil wrote:The colouring of rugs is always a complicated issue, as you have to find a balance between individual creativity and lore-friendliness.

Postby Griff » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 pm

its a very good idea me thinks.
Interiors completed: 9

Postby Numenorean » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks, Luxray and Griff :)

Btw, a short question:
At the moment we're a little bit unsure about one detail: Solitude. Is it the hold Haafinheim and the city Haafingar? Or is Haafinheim another city name and Haafingar the hold's name? The "History of Karthwasten" mentions "King Vyrnod of the Reach and King Eryrfin of Haafingar", while "Skyrim lore" points out the city of Haafingar. Then again it's "our city of Haafinheim" in the "Origins of the Raki". I would guess Haafinheim is just another Name for the hold with its capital Haafingar... right?

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 pm

The 1stPGE mentioned Haafingar as the old norse name for Solitude. Probably the name was changed at Potema's timeline, but that's just a theory, it's nothing written about it. But I'm sure happened by imperial influence. The hold is named Haafinheim, at least on preTES5 Skyrim Maps and in this project. Bethesda took the norse name for Solitude and used it for the hold.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Numenorean » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:14 pm

So we followed Lestat's advice and waited a week... does that mean that we have your permission (because there is no veto)? :)

If this is the case, we'll release our translation in the next few days. Of course I would post the links to our release threads here on SHotN.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Numenorean wrote:So we followed Lestat's advice and waited a week... does that mean that we have your permission (because there is no veto)? :)

If this is the case, we'll release our translation in the next few days. Of course I would post the links to our release threads here on SHotN.

Yes, you have permission to translate and release the current and future versions of our releases. :)
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Yeti » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 am

Just so you know, Numenorean, much of the dialogue in the current public release is liable to being changed in the future. My writing has improved considerably since much of it was written, and I would like to revise it when I have the chance. This shouldn't necessarily affect you translation too much, since I will keep the general information included in the entries the same, only altering them slightly for style and grammar.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby Numenorean » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:50 am

Congratulations, you have a german release... ;)

http://forum.scharesoft.de/showthread.p ... rndgadwald
http://www.scharesoft.de/joomla/index.p ... fo&id=2758

And thanks again for your permission!

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks for your effort, mate
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Ortega1302 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:18 pm

Hello SHotN-Team,

the second release is now on "World of Elder Scrolls":

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/th ... -%281-0%29

http://www.worldofelderscrolls.de/?go=dlfile&id=391

It's a wonderful mod, go ahead!!

Ortega1302

Postby Numenorean » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:50 am

We recently discovered that there's an update to version 1.1... ;)
http://www.moddb.com/mods/shotn-the-rea ... gad-forest

Should we take note of anything special if we follow with a german 1.1?

Btw, why don't you update SHotN on Nexus too? It's still 1.0 there.
http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/42333//?

Postby Scamp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:26 am

Lestat was going to update it on the Nexus, however it seems like he's been having complications.

Anyway, you should definitely use the latest version of Vorndgad Forest as it has now been fully cleaned and even contains a few crucial error fixes (both object- and dialogue- wise)

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:36 pm

I'm not able to upload it on Nexus, probably because of my internet connection. The upload is always interupted at some point and I receive a server error. I'll send the password to Berandas since he has a better internet provider than me.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Return to General Discussion