Morrowind's beauty in Skyrim

Re: Morrowind's beauty in Skyrim

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Tes96 wrote:
TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:Hopefully I'm going to get a decent gaming computer for my birthday, though.

If I was wealthy, I would buy you the Fang III Black Mamba for your birthday, TDF.

Bit outside my price range as well. I'm going to build my own PC with a bit of help from a friend. I might post up the spec I'm looking at later for everyone to critique.
Tes96 wrote:By the Silver Caverns, what exactly is a heightmap?!

Postby Tes96 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:07 pm

Scamp wrote:
Tes96 wrote:
TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:Hopefully I'm going to get a decent gaming computer for my birthday, though.

If I was wealthy, I would buy you the Fang III Black Mamba for your birthday, TDF.

Besides from everything in that PC being complete overkill, I'm sure you could build that system for less money. Just gotta spend one day to put it all together...

Are you sure about it being overkill? There was one guy on BethSoft Forums that had a decent rig and when he levitated (or consoled TCL) high enough to see all of Vvardenfell and Tamriel-Rebuilt in one view from above, he was getting 1 frame per 2 seconds, or 0.5 FPS. This is due to the shitty gambryo engine, though. Another reason why I'm so anxious for OpenMW's release.
Interior Reviewer
Skyrim: Home of the Nords
Province: Cyrodiil
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby Scamp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:00 pm

What kind of rig was that supposed to be? I did that before and had something like 5 fps. And my rig is worth 900€ AT MOST, can't tell exactly (not sure why anyone would upload a video of epic lag, kinda pointless when you can just upload screenshots that upload much faster, too)

Also, yes, it's because of the shitty engine. For 2000€ you can build a system that runs everything that's on the market now, maxed out in Full HD.
The Geforce Titan is complete overkill, besides, it's completely overpriced. Anyone who doesn't see that has no idea about graphics cards.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:41 pm

A few words in defence of Gamebryo.

Morrowind wasn't build on what we call Gamebryo today, it was the NetImmerse Engine, the predecessor of Gamebryo. Actually Gamebryo is one of the best game engines today since it is expandable in nearly every direction you want. It offers a good balanced basic environment to work with and works well with most of the middleware available these days.

Also the price of Gamebryo is pretty fair, compared to CryEngine3 or Unreal (The full, buisness version of Unreal, not UDK). To me Gamebryo offers many advantages, but discussing that will end up in some sort of "religious" discussion, like always if you talk about engines, 3d Software, Intel or AMD, Nvidea or ATI and various Elder Scrolls Titles.

My 5 cents to Gamebryo ;)
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Yeti » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Scamp wrote:Yeti, there won't be a GOTY because there's no expansions. They had DLCs, and those are included in the new Legendary Edition. Pick that one up if you're looking for something like a GOTY.

(of course, maybe I am completely wrong and there will be a GOTY edition, but that wouldn't make any sense because of the Legendary Edition that already has all the DLC in it)

I already knew about about the Legendary Edition. It's basically a GOTY in everything but name only. Also I count at least Dragonborn as an expansion. From what I've heard it isn't any smaller than Tribunal or Bloodmoon at least.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby Tes96 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:32 am

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:A few words in defence of Gamebryo.

Morrowind wasn't build on what we call Gamebryo today, it was the NetImmerse Engine, the predecessor of Gamebryo. Actually Gamebryo is one of the best game engines today since it is expandable in nearly every direction you want. It offers a good balanced basic environment to work with and works well with most of the middleware available these days.

Also the price of Gamebryo is pretty fair, compared to CryEngine3 or Unreal (The full, buisness version of Unreal, not UDK). To me Gamebryo offers many advantages, but discussing that will end up in some sort of "religious" discussion, like always if you talk about engines, 3d Software, Intel or AMD, Nvidea or ATI and various Elder Scrolls Titles.

You mean similar to the engine on which Arena and Daggerfall were designed?
Interior Reviewer
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:42 am

Tes96 wrote:
Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:A few words in defence of Gamebryo.

You mean similar to the engine on which Arena and Daggerfall were designed?

Actually it is impossible to compare engines from the mid 90s with todays engines. Game engines advanced year by year with a strong focus on graphic. The world in TES1 and TES2 was generated in most parts, a lot of world assets like trees, rocks and stuff were only billboard planes combined with pre rendered stuff plus some 3d content.

In general you could say that a game engine is "just" a powerful tool, but it requires skilled artists, programmers and a good working pipeline to make a good game. Means that not everyone who buy a licence for CryEngine 3 is able to make a game like Crysis. It requires a lot more than just an awesome engine.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Scamp » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:Nvidea or ATI

ATI is no more :D

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:Means that not everyone who buy a licence for CryEngine 3 is able to make a game like Crysis. It requires a lot more than just an awesome engine.

Very true! Even though it's just an example, I want to add that I really dislike how everyone just reduces the good aspects of Crysis to graphics and physics only. (This is an entirely different discussion though, might not belong in this thread)

Postby Tes96 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Scamp wrote:
Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:Nvidea or ATI

ATI is no more :D

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:Means that not everyone who buy a licence for CryEngine 3 is able to make a game like Crysis. It requires a lot more than just an awesome engine.

Very true! Even though it's just an example, I want to add that I really dislike how everyone just reduces the good aspects of Crysis to graphics and physics only. (This is an entirely different discussion though, might not belong in this thread)

We derailed this thread many posts back, scampy Scamp. I still find Morrowind's water when using MGE XE to be super awesome looking, even somewhat better than TESV's. Although TESV has the flowing rivers and water falls. I wonder if modders will be able to implement that when OpenMW is released.
One of the big things I really want with OpenMW's release is a mod to make the world map function like google earth map so that we can zoom in/out. This will be so nice not only for SHOTN and P:C but also future province projects. I wonder if modders would be able to make large creatures like giants with the Ogre3D engine and not have them move all blocky like TR's wild silt striders.
Interior Reviewer
Tamriel-Rebuilt

Postby Scamp » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Yeti, Skyrim Legendary Edition is 24 bucks on Steam, go pick it up :P

Previous

Return to General Discussion