The Random Idea Thread

The Random Idea Thread

Postby french ninja » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 am

From Lord Berandas in "Morrowind's Beauty in Skyrim" thread:
I would like to see prostitutes in the game, they add quite a piece of the atmosphere (in Daggerfall for example), even not fully implemented. It's just this sort of details, that makes the world more believable.

I think we should make some organized post, listing all these various details that would be cool to see implemented.

I'll organize any future entries by subject matter.

Quests:
-I recently finished a murder mystery book set in ancient Egypt, where a character who is a master of poisons says that one can cause any honey produced by a beehive to become poisonous by introducing flowers like rhododendrons to the bees. Since you need honey to make mead, I could see this as a potential quest for either the Thieves Guild (messing up the business of a rival meadery) or Dark Brotherhood (killing customers as per a contract)

Factions:
-a secret fraternity worshipping Jhunal underneath the College of Winterhold
-a group of Breton nightblades scheming against Thian in Solitude

Dungeons:
- An Imperial patrol lost in a mountain pass somewhere in northern Skyrim due to a lavine. They have resorted to cannibalism, and have found an ice cave which they've taken residence in. Should be a creepy int and the starved Imperial soldiers will be hostile. Perhaps the player would be sent to find them as a quest.

Culture:
- Nord Sky Burial. I've given this some thought for a while, and have tried to write up some concepts as well as put something together in the CS. Inspired by an idea in one of the religion threads. Crude stone Dakhmas on mountaintops and the highest cliff outlooks. Associated with Kyne. Should have a special group of maintainers which may or may not be Fryse Hags (or related to them). Lives close to the Dakhma and does the proper rituals as well as the practical arrangements of the body and such.

Towns and Cities:
- Pavements for some of the more metropolian cities (Haafingar, Winterhold, Windhelm?) to give the cities a more cramped, medieval feel - I've drawn some concepts which I'll scan when I get to it.

Creatures:- A beast of burden and fast travel transport like the Silt Strider. I've tried to draw some concepts of a mix between a prehistory wooly rhinocerous and long haired ox. As an activator. Used in the North. Could be called a Bjaarlhorn. [Edit: I now know about the Vallagh]
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Re: The Random Idea Thread

Postby roerich » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Ohh, I have loads of these. Great initiative, french ninja, as a lot of these small ideas feels too insignificant to make a whole thread about them individually.

- An Imperial patrol lost in a mountain pass somewhere in northern Skyrim due to a lavine. They have resorted to cannibalism, and have found an ice cave which they've taken residence in. Should be a creepy int and the starved Imperial soldiers will be hostile. Perhaps the player would be sent to find them as a quest.

- Pavements for some of the more metropolian cities (Haafingar, Winterhold, Windhelm?) to give the cities a more cramped, medieval feel - I've drawn some concepts which I'll scan when I get to it.

- Nord Sky Burial. I've given this some thought for a while, and have tried to write up some concepts as well as put something together in the CS. Inspired by an idea in one of the religion threads. Crude stone Dakhmas on mountaintops and the highest cliff outlooks. Associated with Kyne. Should have a special group of maintainers which may or may not be Fryse Hags (or related to them). Lives close to the Dakhma and does the proper rituals as well as the practical arrangements of the body and such.

- A beast of burden and fast travel transport like the Silt Strider. I've tried to draw some concepts of a mix between a prehistory wooly rhinocerous and long haired ox. As an activator. Used in the North. Could be called a Bjaarlhorn. [Edit: I now know about the Vallagh]

More to come..
Thane of Interiors

Postby french ninja » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:10 am

I like the cannibal cave idea. Maybe even add notes along the way, where you learn the story as you go deeper.

The sky burial idea might work as well. Looking at TES 3 and V, Nordic burial involves underground entombment with their belongings. I imagine maybe some nords donate their body as a gift to Kyne (hunters, soldiers, priests of Kyne) and then the bones are dressed and interred in a barrow. However, the body is solemnly guarded as to prevent necromancers or larger animals who would carry off the whole carcass.
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Postby Yeti » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:59 pm

The Pocket Guide to the Empire mentions that King Thain of Solitude has been sponsoring exploratory missions into the Sea of Ghosts. Perhaps one of these can be in the planning stages at the docks of Solitude, with captains recruiting sailors and supplies being procured and loaded.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby roerich » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 pm

@french ninja

I pictured the dakhmas being places to either burn the bodies (and the let the ashes be taken Kyne's winds) or in order to expose them to scavenging birds (like Tibetan sky burial)

@yeti

That sounds pretty badass. I support it!
Thane of Interiors

Postby Scamp » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:25 am

Something I was watching today.

Skip to 10:36. Maybe that would be something interesting to see in terms of what we could do with towns/cities along the coast.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby Lord Berandas » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:54 am

Yeti wrote:The Pocket Guide to the Empire mentions that King Thain of Solitude has been sponsoring exploratory missions into the Sea of Ghosts. Perhaps one of these can be in the planning stages at the docks of Solitude, with captains recruiting sailors and supplies being procured and loaded.

I like this idea very much...perhaps add some interesting quest to it. Now you have Longboat set ready for this. :-)

roerich wrote:- A beast of burden and fast travel transport like the Silt Strider. I've tried to draw some concepts of a mix between a prehistory wooly rhinocerous and long haired ox. As an activator. Used in the North.

I wouldn't use something that extraordinary as Silt Strider was, why there should be some giant or unique animal for traveling in every province, hm? I thing horse and ox carriage would be nice and interesting enough.

Postby Yeti » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Also, I want there to be an incompetent scholar/archaeologist residing in Markarth Side who thinks the Direnni ruins are actually Dwemer ruins. Just a fun jab at TES V. ;)

Postby roerich » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:09 am

@Berandas: Good point. I didn't want a wooly silt strider though, just some more fantasy animals for Shotn.

@Yeti: Great idea. Another hint at TES V could be to either have a (bandit or abandoned) cave close to Markarth Side being called Cidhna Cave, or perhaps having a Reachmen tribe called the Cidhna tribe living close to a cave?

Also; besides having the Elf Tax, all the old holds should all have foreign quarters. This will be the primary place where foreigners are allowed to set up shop. Opening shops in the main city will demand a huge amount of septims and also being on very good terms with the local king/thane/jarl. Elves will have a hard time doing this.
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:36 pm

From rats' recent TR book:

The Fighters Guild Coat of Arms
Originally a mercenary fighting force of the Akaviri Potentate, the Fighters Guild was awarded its coat of arms by the Imperial College of Arms in the signing of the Guild Act in 2E 321. The Guild's sigil is stylized after a heraldic achievement. It consists of a plain black-and-white shield with crossed longswords in the background, which in the original Second Era design were curved and single-edged after Akaviri fashion. Nowadays the arms in the background are allowed to vary depending on the region where a Guild chapter operates. For example, a chapter in Skyrim might use crossed axes instead of longswords.

(http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23952)
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Have a special "city" region (i.e. Reach City Region) for each region, which has the same weather settings etc., but different ambient sounds; dogs barking, smiths working with the hammer, people chatting in the background etc.
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:53 pm

New flora: Lizards Foot

(6:43:12 PM) roerich|away: new plant idea btw
(6:43:16 PM) roerich|away: lizard's foot
(6:43:33 PM) Luxray: sounds... intriguing
(6:45:07 PM) roerich|away: not named because of appearance, but because it appeared with the Argonian army which sieged queen potema.
(6:47:04 PM) roerich|away: the seeds being brought from black marsh to skyrim with the soldiers feet
(6:47:30 PM) roerich|away: and the lizards foot being one the more adaptable ones, being able to survive the cold (moreso than the argonians)
(6:47:39 PM) Luxray: that sounds pretty neat!
(6:48:43 PM) roerich|away: very poisonous, but with some good alchemical values as well
(6:48:49 PM) roerich|away: perhaps water breathing :p
(6:49:24 PM) roerich|away: if you ask an argonian alchemist about it he will tell the story and call it a different name
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:12 am

"The Roerich Idea Thread"

- A Breton conjurer residing in his manor in Dragonstar. It is in the warzone, yet untouched by both sides. They know better than to disturb this powerful and dangerous eccentric. The Breton is very old and has extensive knowledge of daedric conjuration. Think of an old demonologist from a horror movie. The home (dark and dusty, filled with books on occult subjects) should be inhabited by a lot of summoned Daedra. Like, a dremora butler and a group of scamps working in the kitchen. The Breton is to be found in his study, and is not aggressive if the player gets to him, but should have some exciting dialogue (and be a formidable enemy if the player chooses to fight him). The whole manor would be an out of the ordinary dungeon, somewhat reminiscent of Baladas Demnvani's tower in Gnisis.

- Bone carving being a cultural norm among the northern tribes and in the city of Dunstiorr. Tools, knives, weapons carved out of whalebone.
Thane of Interiors

Postby Griff » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:24 pm

They are all great ideas.
Hears a idea why not have a group of witches known as the Charmed which you can do a few quests for if your not a nord obviously e.g. collecting flowers n the such or luring a nord to there hide out so they can experiment on him.
Interiors completed: 9

Postby Yeti » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 am

Griff wrote:They are all great ideas.
Hears a idea why not have a group of witches known as the Charmed which you can do a few quests for if your not a nord obviously e.g. collecting flowers n the such or luring a nord to there hide out so they can experiment on him.

Out of curiosity, is this meant to be a reference to "Charmed" the supernatural TV series? The main characters of that show are three witches called "The Charmed Ones."

Postby Griff » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Aye it is :)
Interiors completed: 9

Postby Tes96 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:11 pm

How about sporadically encountering other explorers in caves and the wilderness? Well I guess we already have that. But in caverns and caves, it would be interesting to run into a traveler who is lost or perhaps just looking for loot. The point I'm making is that caves and such shouldn't just have bad guys in it who attack you. I'm thinking more along the lines of TESV and how you would run into other travelers in the wilderness, although I never saw any other travelers in caves. It makes the world feel much more real when you see other NPCs doing the same thing you're doing. The Player is not the only adventurer in Tamriel.
I probably don't need to ask but we do have enemies that won't automatically attack you on sight unless provoked, correct? Like how TESV has their AI system implemented? Or does the gambryo engine incapable of that?
Interior Reviewer
Skyrim: Home of the Nords
Province: Cyrodiil
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby roerich » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:51 pm

A Nord clan of lawless raiders and bandits, living in an isolated village in the mountains. Their leader is named something Red-Tooth and is a bloodthirsty and brutal vampire, after he was bitten during an attack on a vampire nest. Even though none of his men are particularly fond of vampires, but they all fear him too much to do something about it. The leader lives in a cave whose entrance is in the village/camps, and he keeps a cage of "cattle" consisting of kidnapped peasants and not-so-loyal raiders.
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:24 pm

The garlic ingredient (hopefully included in the next data) should have have a Turn Undead effect for the lulz.
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:21 pm

A broken wagon as an activator. The wagon is abandoned in the middle of the road, in an ambush-friendly environment. When the player activates the wagon in search of phat lute, a group of Reachmen (or Redguard insurgents, Nord bandits, Orc barbarians etc.) raiders spawn and attacks the player.
Thane of Interiors

Next

Return to General Discussion