[REQz] County borders

[REQz] County borders

Postby french ninja » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:21 am

Would anyone happen to have the borders I mapped out for the 3 westernmost holds, their county lines, and each Jarl/King? They were lost on the old forums.
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Re: [REQz] County borders

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:49 am

Here is the requested article from the old forums:

1) County Cascabel
County Seat: Cascabel Hall
Settlements: destroyed and normal breton villages guarded by nords
Ruler: Count Nebradil

2) County Solitude
County Seat: Solitude/Haafingar
Settlements: Dragonbridge and Gant (referenced in The 911th Cow)
Ruler: King Thian

3) County Newkreath (referenced in The 911th Cow)
County Seat: Newkreath
Ruler: Count Hesvir Tree-Feller

4) County Snowhawk
County Seat: Snowhawk
Ruler: Countess Vigdis

5) County Markarth
County Seat: Markarth Side
Settlements: Amber Guard + destroyed and normal breton villages occupied by nords
Ruler: King Bairda the Builder

6) County Granitehall
County Seat: Granitehall
Settlements: Lainfalten
Ruler: Count Uldred

7) County Karthwasten
County Seat: Dragonstar
Settlements: Karthwasten + destroyed and normal redguard villages guarded by nords
Ruler: Countess Jona the Ansei-Slayer (newly created county granted to Jona for her victories during the War of the Bendr' Mahk

8) County Teed (as referenced in Fight One of the 7 Fights)
County Seat: North Hall
Ruler: Count Hrafen

9) County Falkrenth
County Seat: Falkrenth
Settlements: Neugard Watch
Ruler: King Crantus Ondo (of the influential colovian merchant family that has resided in Falkrenth for hundreds of years, since before it became part of Skyrim)

Feel free to suggest better names, I just used an icelandic name generator for some and minor alterations to some existing names in Morrowind for others.

Note: Our old forums are currently up again...I don't know what's up and I'm not sure if we can get a complete backuo of the entries from SGMonkey.

It makes sense to copy paste the important entries I think.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Wollibeebee » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:17 am

Just a heads up. This wasn't in the dropbox folder, i don't think.
and i don't want to make a new thread :P

http://mygaming.co.za/news/files.php?fi ... 341415.jpg

Postby Tes96 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:05 am

Hey, when TESV comes out next month, there will undoubtedly be more towns and villages added to the map than are drawn/written on any/all the maps we have available thus far. I think once Skyrim comes out, it will shed a plethora of information for us to shovel through and pick what we want to use in this project and what we want to disregard and leave just as a TESV thing. I'm pretty sure us modders will be able to deliver a much better TESIII: Skyrim than Bethesda's TESV: Skyrim since we have no time limit and can go at our own pace. Too bad we don't have the budget to purchase the software and computer rigs that they use. (Listen to me; talking like I'm already part of the team. heehee :lol: )
Interior Reviewer
Skyrim: Home of the Nords
Province: Cyrodiil
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Hey, when TESV comes out next month, there will undoubtedly be more towns and villages added to the map than are drawn/written on any/all the maps we have available thus far. I think once Skyrim comes out, it will shed a plethora of information for us to shovel through and pick what we want to use in this project and what we want to disregard and leave just as a TESV thing. I'm pretty sure us modders will be able to deliver a much better TESIII: Skyrim than Bethesda's TESV: Skyrim since we have no time limit and can go at our own pace. Too bad we don't have the budget to purchase the software and computer rigs that they use. (Listen to me; talking like I'm already part of the team. heehee :lol: )

More towns? I doubt that as it shares the same world-dimensions with Oblivion.
Plethora of information, probably. I'm going to study TES V, for sure, in the context of the knowledge I have gathered in advance.

It's great to see that you have so much faith in us. I think that it will be tougher to outmatch Bethesda this time. But we simply do what we can here.

What matters to me personally is that we run long enough to really finish our skyrim and that it will deliver the nordy atmosphere of Skyrim and is fun to walk through and play. And of course we want to cover all the essential lore about Skyrim.

Postby Praedator » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:57 pm

I agree with Muspila, it will be a hard nut to crack! However we are good modders and I am sure people will love our release as TES3 is still the best platform if you ask me.

and sure it is good to learn from TES5, but I think we can do better and add more :)

Postby Dirnae » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Heh, we're no ADHD Oblivion modders, we're in this for the long run.
I'll bet my money that Bethesda wont be able to compete with our Skyrim towards the end, binded as they are by marketing and budgets.
[11:05:43] Wolli: ah yeharp, i felled the [NUG-RI-BOOGAR] felf too MK!

Postby Praedator » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Dirnae wrote:Heh, we're no ADHD Oblivion modders, we're in this for the long run.
I'll bet my money that Bethesda wont be able to compete with our Skyrim towards the end, binded as they are by marketing and budgets.

so very true!

Postby Tes96 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Dirnae wrote:Heh, we're no ADHD Oblivion modders, we're in this for the long run.
How do you know the Oblivion modders have ADHD?
Interior Reviewer
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby Dirnae » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Most of them probably don't, it was just a sarcastic over-exaggeration based on my previous experience and information on that community. A joke really.

As far as I can tell, generally they don't gear towards larger projects as much, it's mostly visual candy down there with actual content mods being very few and very far between.

Postby Rattfink333 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:05 am

http://norroen-stjarna.deviantart.com/art/Skyrim-map-supposed-version-262509116 Here is a link to what is supposed to be the latest map.
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby Tes96 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:18 am

Rattfink333 wrote:http://norroen-stjarna.deviantart.com/art/Skyrim-map-supposed-version-262509116 Here is a link to what is supposed to be the latest map.

(sigh...) Good ole High Rock. I can't wait to see a TESIII project for High Rock. By the Gods, that would be so fun to recreate Daggerfall, Wayrest and Sentinel and the Scourg Barrow where the King of Worms lived. Can you imagine recreating all those intricate dungeons with their hidden wheels, levers, elevators, trap doors, etc...?

Yeah, I figured that most of the Oblivion mods were focused on the visual aspect. Morrowind afterall has much more content and lore and story behind it. :) I hope before I die that we have all of Tamriel created in TESIII. I imagine by then we'll have yottahertz processors.

That map looks nice. I preordered the collector's edition so I'm anxious to see what it all looks like. I would really like to have a Morrowind Collector's Edition just for the sake of having it since it's my favorite TES game.
Interior Reviewer
Tamriel-Rebuilt

Postby Dirnae » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 am

Yeah, plus it's just plain hard to make professional looking oblivion quests and NPCs with it's voice acting, it can easily turn out wierd because of bad VA or avoidance of it.

It's why I'm not too interested in modding Skyrim either, I doubt it's modding community will be as geared towards these sort of projects as we Morrowinders are (and all the guys who like pretty visuals will naturally go to the newest game too). No offense is meant by this, it's just my observation and if right, not necessarily a bad thing, though not what I look for in a modding community.

16 settlements then? Not enough for us, but more than I expected tbh.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:51 pm

It's interesting to see that Bethsoft simple changed the positions of Markarth Side and Karthwasten :D

I see some new settlements (probably villages) on the map and miss a lot of the old settlements from the original Map (With the original map I still mean the Arena Map ;) ). I doubt that the game will explain that fact, but they could easily been destroyed during the Oblivion Crisis or later.

I've also preordered the game a while ago, but I stay away from looking in the Skyrim Forums at the officials since a while. I never saw so many dumbasses on a single place as in the mentioned forums. It seems that over 60% of the posters havn't even heard from The Elder Scrolls before TES5 was announced. I can't stand those fools so it's better I stay away, otherwise I wish to clean the forums with a baseball bat...the same at YouTube.

I also have my doubts that TES5 will be as modable as TES3, so I'm not interested in modding TES5 in any way, also because of my aversion against the TES5 community. I think it will take 5 or 6 years until the TES5 community will become a serious community. I'm sure if the next TES Game will be announced all the fools, trolls, dumbasses, chatterboxes and visual junkies move to the next game and what remains will be a good community of true fans.

Sorry because I got more and more offtopic during my post, but this are reasons why I became less excited about the new Elder Scrolls Game during the last month.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Praedator » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:15 pm

I share your views Lestat, big difference between gamers that want eyecandy (TES4-5), and roleplayers which generally are serious modders :)

Postby Dirnae » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:46 pm

You pretty much said what I was thinking there. :D

Postby Tes96 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Why is this topic called county borders? Does the province have counties? I know it has cities and villages. High Rock had city-states before the Warp in the West, i.e. Daggerfall, Daggerfall, High Rock, Tamriel. That goes city, city-state, province & empire, respectively. I don't think Morrowind had any counties, but they used districts, which I thought was very well done, all the houses and what regions they covered. It's just like real life where you have counties with cities within the county borders that are controlled by members of the House of Representatives. Morrowind's House Districts were controlled by their corresponding Houses, which I guess were all controlled by the governor of Vvardenfell, who then was controlled by King Helseth, who was in turn, controlled by the Empire. I guess "control" isn't an appropriate term to use but you get the idea.

I don't think Oblivion had any counties or regions that were ran by a specific sect or order or group, did it?

I wonder how Skyrim will be set up as far as regions and borders. It seems a lot less civilized than Cyrodiil. I think of Conan the Barbarian types when I think of Skyrim. Not that being less civilized is good or bad, just different.
Interior Reviewer
Tamriel-Rebuilt

Postby Rattfink333 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 am

oblivion did have counties. each major city was a seat. and as you walked the land surrounding it'd say so in the hud. And npc's would reference in conversation to that(town guards especially). Skyrim counties(holds) will be similar. we have it basically set up in the claims for it. and of course there is the general regions as well. it makes it easier to work with as well. so that when we reference a county, everyone will be on the same page. now with the new map we have some identifying heraldry as well. that will be useful.
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:32 am

Different to Cyrodiil each Skyrim Hold has it's own King. The holds are splited in Counties that will be ruled by Jarls (Counts) or Warlords. It think this is because the political situation in Skyrim is different to Cyrodiil cause there is no ruler for all Skyrim since King Haralds death, at least in the timeline of TES3.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 am

I actually thought that Skyrim would always have had some high-king over all of Skyrim. TES V atleast starts with the murder of the high king of Skyrim. The first pg describes the situation in the 2nd era, the 3rd pg speaks of interrupted reigns. I simply assume that there is always a high king that is either determined by heirship or by the moot and that it's merely so that at least one hold at any time does not recognize the latters sovereignty, when it is a weak high king, a few holds will go apart until the next high king settles it or not. Just a theory though.

'Don't forget this' wrote this in our old forums:
just remember, although every hold has a king, there is one king for all of skyrim (Thain), and if his line dies out then all the other kings hold a vote for the next one.

From the 1st pg
By the early years of the First Empire, Skyrim was already divided into Holds, then ruled by a patchwork of clan-heads, kings, and councils (or moots), all of which paid fealty to the King of Skyrim. During the exceptionally long reign of King Harald, who died at 108 years of age and outlived all but three of his sons, a Moot was created, made up of representatives from each Hold, to choose the next King from qualified members of the royal family. Over the years, the Moot became permanent and acquired an increasing amount of power; by the reign of King Borgas, the last of the Ysgramor dynasty, the Moot had become partisan and ineffective. Upon the murder5 of King Borgas by the Wild Hunt (see Aldmeri Dominion - Valenwood), the Moot's failure to appoint the obvious and capable Jarl Hanse of Winterhold sparked the disastrous Skyrim War of Succession, during which Skyrim lost control of its territories in High Rock, Morrowind, and Cyrodiil, never to regain them. The war was finally concluded in 1E420 with the Pact of Chieftans; henceforth, the Moot was convened only when a King died without direct heirs, and it has fulfilled this more limited role admirably. It has only been called upon three times in the intervening millenia, and the Skyrim succession has never again been disputed on the field of battle.

Then again in the 3rd pg
Yet Skyrim remained the dominant human nation in Tamriel until it was torn apart by rivalries within the Ysgramor clan. As individual chieftains fought each other, Skyrim gradually lost her holdings in present day Morrowind and High Rock, and certain localities in Skyrim became independent kingdoms. For brief periods, one ruler has managed to unite all of Skyrim, but the Nord character is one essentially of conflict, and the confederacies never last.

Next

Return to General Discussion