New Website Style?

New Website Style?

Postby Dirnae » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:22 pm

I'm not a fan of this forum style tbh, and even if I did like it, it's taken straight from the phpBB website with no modifications.
I played around customizing a style for shotn on a test site of mine, it's like the style from the old website, but with a dashboard menu and different header.

Don't mind the name, it's a site I was using to test a website theme for an undead mmo guild:

edit:link removed

It's on a free webhost so just wait a while and try again if it doesn't load.
Might use the button images from this site, but otherwise I'm done with it.
I'm not the most artistic person when it comes to web design, so feedback is appreciated.

Tell me what you think.
Last edited by Dirnae on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
[11:05:43] Wolli: ah yeharp, i felled the [NUG-RI-BOOGAR] felf too MK!

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Re: New Website Style?

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:25 pm

I like the banner on that page a lot, it looks very nice.

Do we need a complete new style or could we modify the style to achieve the result.

The chosen style on your example looks like the style from our old forums. I'm not sure if we should go back to that style, but I'm also open to change the style.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Dirnae » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Well it's much easier for me to edit a style and then for you to install it and make it the default style.
Styles only affect appearance so it's no biggy, content-wise the forums will be unnaffected and you can always switch back.

I do like the style from the old site (which is also a free-to-use phpBB3 style). I like the color scheme in particular, I'm not a fan of the dull blue used in the background here.
That said it's easy enough to use elements from both. I'll play around with it.

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:54 am

I like how that forum is formatted with the bigger boundaries. Much nicer.

Postby Scamp » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:25 am

I like the banner stuff. At least it sounds better than "Support Forum", too. :mrgreen:
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby Lady Nerevar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Yea, a custom style would definitely be nice. Iirc we were just trying to get something that works when we set up the current site.

Postby Dirnae » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:28 am

I'm going to work on the iron armor tonight, tomorrow though (or maybe tonight if I get bored of modelling), I'll dl this template used here and edit the theme and templates to have the banner, looser border, and a similar color scheme to the style above.

They're based on the two different default phpbb3 styles I think (or in any case are quite different under the cover), so this might be somewhat better for consistency, and shouldn't take too long. If you guys want a custom website imageset too, you can make them or request them, but if requested that'll have to wait a bit.

Postby Dirnae » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:03 pm

OK it's more like the current theme now. It's just bluer and without the outer border lines (cba to dig through the html to implement them properly).
I'll prob change the font on the banner and that's it (it's using the MW text font atm).

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:58 am

I like the new style, the only thing that bugs me a bit is the color of the font used for the topic titles. Maybe a brighter blue or white will work better, I found it a bit hard to read if the letters have nearly the same color like the background, but probably it's only my monitor settings
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:22 am

I like it. I actually intended to say that the boundaries of your new style were superior over the style in these current forums, just for the case you thought i meant these current forums since i was speaking of big boundaries.

Postby Dirnae » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:37 am

@Lestat: Thanks, forgot to change the link colours, they didn't come up for me because I've visited all the links, so I didn't catch that out.

@Muspila: Yeah, I got what you meant.

Postby Dirnae » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Made another for fun, not finished, buttons at the top are going to look like the Morrowind Menu buttons.
I'd like to have a background fade in like here, but at the bottom perhaps: http://eu.blizzard.com/diablo3/characters/wizard.xml

Postby Dirnae » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:54 pm

Took the phpBB3 portal plugin and edited it to remove all the crap and make it look more like a news blog: http://undead.site90.net/

Wolli and Midgetalien both liked the theme, if you guys are fine with it then after I've done some final tweaks to images and theme settings I could get it packed up, whoever has ftp access can upload it, and then I can install the portal plugin and theme from the admin panel (I would need admin status though).

Postby Scamp » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:29 pm

It looks cool, but I have always liked blue for Skyrim - Home of the Nords :( Can't you make it blue?

Postby Dirnae » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:44 pm

It's meant to be sorta Bloodmoony.
I don't think blue would look as good, I could give it a try but no promises.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:21 pm

I love your new website style, it looks very cool.

I also like the Bloodmoon look but we could also change it to a bluer tone if it looks as good as now. The Font for the headline looks great, it would be cool to have the line "Skyrim - Home of the Nords" from the website as a resource for splash screens.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Dirnae » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:09 pm

It's not finished but when it is sure, it's a .png with a transparent background so it can be used for screenshots easily.
I did try the blue, I'd have to change quite a few images to get it looking good, I might do it tomorrow, might not, I do like the current look you see.

Postby Scamp » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:15 am

Please don't bother about the blue thing then. I am very very fine with how it looks now.

Postby Lady Nerevar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:44 pm

You probably also want to make a favicon - right now it's using the squirrel I have on my personal sites.

Postby Scamp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:25 pm

I agree, favicons are cool and easy to add in html.

Next

Return to General Discussion