I hope I'm doing this right...

I hope I'm doing this right...

Postby TheLexicon » Fri May 10, 2013 2:21 am

But hey, I'm TheLexicon. You can call me Lex for short. I'm from Canada (basically real life's Skyrim), and I've been playing Elder Scrolls games for a year and a half now. Despite what you're thinking now, Oblivion was my first TES game. I don't know which is my favourite, so don't ask. You won't get a good answer.

Uh, I don't have a computer right now, but I plan on getting one soon. Mostly to play Morrowind (have actually never played the game. Sorry!), but also to learn to mod Morrowind as well, so that I'm actually useful here. I hate just sitting here reading the forums instead of helping you guys out, but it can't be helped at the moment. If I make a thread that's about three miles long containing questions and suggestions for this mod, please don't ban me.

I think that this mod is a cool idea, and I hope that you guys actually acheive making this mod's Skyrim more alive than TES:V's Skyrim. I also think the same of basically any province mod I come across, as such a task is such an arduous one, and I wish you guys the best of luck.

Now, as a person, I have a couple hobbies, mostly containing video games, reading forums, writing fan-fics on the Bethsoft forums, eating, sleeping, learning, and entertaining ludicrous and unlikely ideas in my head, from imagining myself famous on YouTube to becoming an awesome dubstep artist. My favourite animals are rodents and cats, though preferably clean ones. I'm male and straight, too. My favourite genre of books/video games is fantasy (big surprise), and my prefered music choices contain a mixture of 70s/80s rock, dubstep and video game music.

My favourite RPGs are Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and of course The Elder Scrolls. I've always been a console player, but I really want to make the change to PC. I want to learn how to program on computers so that I can make my own computer games someday (there goes my imagination again...), and I'm on here to get a good "introduction" to computer programming. I have lots of cool ideas, and can come up with ideas in a matter of seconds, so if you need my suggestions, let me know. I'm also good at coming up with fantasy names, so if you need that as well, let me know. I have some really cool ideas for computer games I want to make, but I'm not posting them here, as I fear someone will steal said ideas.

I also like comedies. I must sound like a terrible person right about now, so I'll shut up.

Re: I hope I'm doing this right...

Postby Rattfink333 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:09 am

ah, you finally made it here.. hello lexicon
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby Worsas » Fri May 10, 2013 8:18 am

In your place I would get Morrowind and play it first. Modding the game without having experienced its content and atmosphere seems rather disconnected to me. Though having played the later sequels may work as prerequisite to a degree.

Moreover: If you want to learn about making computer games, game design and such, you are definetively WRONG here. We only extend an existing game with unique and often outdated requirements.

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Fri May 10, 2013 9:03 am

Welcome.

Like Worsas said, Modding and Game Development are two different things. But experience in Modding is useful if you want to get in game development later, but it can't replace some sort of education. Also game programming and game design are two completly different fields. Game programmers work on an engine or expand an engine, implement game mechanics developend from the design department, writing tools and stuff. However if you want to become a game programmer it is much easier to find a job in the industry than it is as designer.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Scamp » Fri May 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Were you the guy at P:C who said he was expecting to learn how to code by modding Morrowind? ;)

Like I said over there and people have said it here, scripting is the closest thing to that which you can do here, but it's still barely connected to what real programming is.

Anyway, welcome to this place, and I'm looking forward to seeing you demolishing the whole place with questions :D

And you should play Morrowind, nao. Plus, if you own an Xbox, just play it on there.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby Griff » Fri May 10, 2013 8:18 pm

morrowind copys for the xbox are rare i sold myn on ebay for just under 30 quid
Interiors completed: 9

Postby TheLexicon » Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 pm

I know there's a difference between modding and game development. I was thinking of a "kind" of introduction to computer programming so that learning from university or something will be easier (hopefully). I kind of hope to do both designing and developing, as if I ever make video games, my chances of having a team helping me are veeeeeerrryyyy slim.

And yep. Hello Scamp. :D

Postby Scamp » Fri May 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Depends. If you find something innovative like Minecraft... he did that all by himself, it was pretty crappy programming at first, and look at how rich that guy is now. It's just the idea.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby TheLexicon » Sat May 11, 2013 2:23 am

That's true. I have an awesome idea (not posting here), but I figure that in the event I don't have a team, I need to know this all.

And I plan on playing the crap outta Morrowind before I attempt modding. Will make my life all the easier.

Return to Introduce yourself