Volkihar Vampire Questline

Discussion about Skyrim related topics

Volkihar Vampire Questline

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Chainy wrote:"He wanted to know about the vampires of eastern Skyrim. I told him about the most powerful tribe, the Volkihar, paranoid and cruel, whose very breath could freeze their victims' blood in the veins. I explained to him how they lived beneath the ice of remote and haunted lakes, never venturing into the world of men except to feed." -- Immortal Blood

Planned features:
- The ability to contract the Volkihar strain of vampirism and become one of the bloodline, acquiring numerous traits unique to the species.
- Interaction with a number of clans across Skyrim, including new faction and ranking.
- The possiblility to encounter the first vampire, the blood matron, Lamae Bal, along with different outcomes.

Related quests:
- A mission from Arkay to destroy the Vampire Queen.
- The rumour of a vampire cure, related to the Breton Witches of High Rock.

What we need:
- A concrete, intriguing quest flow leading from the point if/when the player catches the disease up through to the rank where he/she is granted the privilege of meeting the Blood Matron.
- Multiple paths and outcomes depending on a number of different factors including such as the player being of a foreign bloodline as well as gender...

So I'm opening up to you guys for suggestions. There must be some story writers out there. :)
[11:05:43] Wolli: ah yeharp, i felled the [NUG-RI-BOOGAR] felf too MK!

Re: Volkihar Vampire Questline

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:09 pm

SamirA wrote:This sounds awesome. I'm particularly intrigued by the mission from Arkay to destroy the Vampire queen.

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:10 pm

dirnae wrote:Me and Chainy were just talking about this on skype actually. Trust me, killing her wont be easy, but it'll be very interesting.

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Chainy wrote:That's if you even want to kill her. As a vampire you may want to join her or overthrow her. But as a vampire, Arkay may not make that kind of deal with you....

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:13 pm

dirnae wrote:Posting ideas from skype:

We should discuss skill boosts too:
-Speed increase
-Agility increase
-Strength Increase (?)
-Immunity to Ice
-Can move through certain ice walls and floors
-Need to decide actual skill boosts too.

Appearance:
-Nordic
-Light Garments for weaker vampires (perhaps under-dressed considering the icy surroundings, to emphasize that they're undead and cannot feel the cold)
-The strongest ancient vampires should be impressive in appearance. Long clawed fingers like on the Molag Bal statues, to add a resemblence to their patron, along with a more ghoulish vampiric look in general.

That's all so far, feel free to give suggestions.

Idea 1
If you are bitten by a Volkihar you serve them as a 'mistake' similarly to as it was in Morrowind until you prove your worth by doing a few tasks then purging some troublesome minor clans. This would be the quickest route.

There should be joinable minor clans, but these should all also eventually lead to the player working for the strongest clan.
This could be done through the player having to complete several quests for his clan that endanger the interests of the largest clan, the Volkihar, leading to retaliation. They destroy the minor clans, but spare several vampires who show potential as slaves, you included.

You and the other slaves are put to test, and sent out on tasks for the Volkihar under threat of death. Many are weeded out, but a few remain. You are all sent, as a group, to eliminate a troublesome group of vampire hunters. You do kill them, yet only your character survives. They initiate you into the clan through sharing their blood, giving you the ability to walk through ice and access areas in their lairs you'd otherwise be unable to. They allow you to join due to a shortage of vampires in the clan, caused by a guild of vampire hunters working for Arkay. You then start the Volkihar questline from where you would have proven your worth as a mistake.

You work for the ancient's then until near to the very end of the questline, where you are introduced to and then work for the Blood Matron.
Later quests may share a dual nature alongside the vampire hunter guild, as you work against them, in a similar way to the werewolf/Skaal quests in Bloodmoon.
That's the basic idea.

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:15 pm

French Ninja wrote:Maybe have a quest where some vampire hunters hired a bunch of mages to use destruction magic to burn through the ice to find a den of vampires. As a vampire, you have to stop them before they report back to some city guard or temple, which will come back to overwhelm them. If you fail, the den will be purged and you can't do any quests from that den.

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:15 pm

dirnae wrote:Sounds good, that might make a nice mission to introduce the vampire hunters to vampire characters, and show that they're not a force to be kidded around with.

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:16 pm

dirnae wrote:
... In the West, a shadowy fraternity of vampire hunters is believed to be primarily composed of formerly afflicted vampires who have been cured of the disease. According to legend, the Vampire Hunters refuse to reveal the cure to the disease for fear that it may encourage depraved thrill seekers from deliberately infecting themselves.

From vampires of vvardenfell 2

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:16 pm

French Ninja wrote:Unrelated to the Volkihar but related to Skyrim vampires:

Aren't the Quarra native to Skyrim? I seem to remember reading that somewhere (not to mention almost all of their members are Nords). Maybe the clan that occupies parts of eastern skyrim ought to be them?

Postby Dirnae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Ok, just to revive this thread somewhat, using the quote above the vampire hunters would indeed be previous vampires, and in order to join you'd have to be a vampire, and cure your vampirism before acceptance into the Volkihar, after which you'd be contacted by letter.

About the Quarra, they thrive in Morrowind because they were driven from Skyrim by the Volkihar I'd say.
Have them as a minor clan at most.

Return to Skyrim Discussion