Vampires

Discussion about Skyrim related topics

Vampires

Postby KingHelseth » Thu May 09, 2013 8:02 pm

In the thread on the Falmer ruins somebody started talking about vampires, so I've started this thread.
The only thing I've read about vampires in Skyrim is that they are (at least according to Dawnguard) all part of the Volkihar Clan, even though most of them are not pure-blooded (check out UESP Volkihar Vampire Clan).
The Volkihar Clan worships Molag Bal. Maybe in one of their lairs (the major base maybe?) we could place a shrine to Molag Bal and create a new daedric quest or maybe create quest related to the vampires themselves.
What do you think? And how should the vampire lairs look like?
May Talos guide you

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Re: Vampires

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 pm

A book in Oblivion has a report that the Volkihar Clan is located in eastern Skyrim, living under frozen lakes and stuff like that. Maybe we could add the Volkihar plus 2 fictional clans like on Vvardenfell. The vampire quests in Morrowind was one of the coolest quests, unfortunally there were only a couple quests per clan. Those clans could be located in different areas on Skyrim and one clan could be very hostil to the other clans (maybe it fits well to the Volkihar vampires) and the clan questline could end up in destroying the other clans and to become the only clan on Skyrim. It would also be cool if the player could advance in the ranks of the clan. The cure from vampirism could be a unique Skyrim way or the player has to travel back Vvardenfell to Molag Bals Shrine to get the cure (Should be easy by expanding the code in the vanilla vampire cure script).

About the lairs I would say "Let's stay classic", nothing to fancy, more like the lairs in the last TES Titles.

Caves and dungeons fit both well as lairs, however I would say that dungeons are a bit more fitting. For example an old aldmeri ruin in the Reach could be used as vampire lair plus 2 or 3 caves as well. This should be good for a hold size of the Reach I guess. Aside from the joinable clan vampires we should also add those maniac wild vampires without any relationship to a clan (same as on Vvandenfell).
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby KingHelseth » Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Ok. The vampiric disease you can catch in Skyrim is called Sanguinare Vampiris, which is a little bit different from Morrowind's and Oblivion's Porphyric Hemophilia.
I've got a couple of ideas for the clans:

VOLKIHAR CLAN
History: From the First Era (?)
Leader(s): Lord Harkon
How to join: (I'm thinking on this)
Specialization: conjuration, destruction, archery, long blade
Races: mainly Nords, Bretons, Imperials

DRAKENKRAG CLAN
History: From the Dragon Age
Leader(s): Lord Karak
Specializations: destruction, alteration, axe, blunt weapon
Races: Only Nords

TYKTERION CLAN
History: It was formed during the Imperial Simulacrum by a group of Volkihar clanmembers. The Clan knew about Jagar Tharn, but didn't do anything. So these clanmembers decided to act against him. Lord Harkon kicked them out of the Clan because they were exposing it to great danger. They established a base near Dawnstar and acted against local authorities who were part of Jagar Tharn's minions. People didn't help them because they didn't believe them because they are vampires.
Leader(s): Lord Darkas and Lord Trebonius
How to join: Sleep in Dawnstar and notice someone has stolen some of your stuff. Investigate with the guards and find out about the clan and decide whether to fight against the clan or join it
Specializations: illusion, sneak, short blade, pickpoket
Races: Nords, Imperials, Khajiit
May Talos guide you

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » Fri May 10, 2013 2:43 pm

I think the Volkihars should have alteration which lets them reach through the ice as described in that book.

About your Tykterion Clan, I'm uneasy about having them formed so recently. I'm all for having a clan that tries to involve itself in politics directly rather than just hide itself away. However, I think it should be older, and we have to strike a balance between making them impotent and omnipotent. Some strains of vampire find it easier to conceal their affliction than others (compare vampirism in Vvardenfell and vampirism in Cyrodiil).
Tes96 wrote:By the Silver Caverns, what exactly is a heightmap?!

Postby KingHelseth » Fri May 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Ok.
They divided themselves from the Volkihar: they could also hide their disease like that count in Oblivion. I thought of this group as kind of a House Hlaalu-like clan.
May Talos guide you

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Fri May 10, 2013 2:55 pm

I think the Volkihar should be located in Eastmarch, The Rift and maybe The Pale, since the book mention them in eastern Skyrim. The Tykterion Clan could be spread over Northshore, Haafinheim and The Reach to fill that gap.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby KingHelseth » Fri May 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Ok.
Changed a couple of things.

VOLKIHAR CLAN
History: From the First Era (?)
Leader(s): Lord Harkon
Specialization: conjuration, destruction, archery, long blade
Races: mainly Nords, Bretons, Imperials

DRAKENKRAG CLAN
History: From the Dragon Age
Leader(s): Lord Karak
Specializations: destruction, alteration, axe, blunt weapon
Races: Only Nords

TYKTERION CLAN
History: It was formed during the Imperial Simulacrum by a group of Volkihar clanmembers. The Clan knew about Jagar Tharn, but didn't do anything. So these clanmembers decided to act against him. Lord Harkon kicked them out of the Clan because they were exposing it to great danger. They established a base near Dawnstar and acted against local authorities who were part of Jagar Tharn's minions. People didn't help them because they didn't believe them because they are vampires.
Leader(s): Lord Darkas and Lord Trebonius
How to join: Sleep in Dawnstar and notice someone has stolen some of your stuff. Investigate with the guards and find out about the clan and decide whether to fight against the clan or join it
Specializations: illusion, sneak, short blade, pickpoket
Races: Nords, Imperials, Khajiit
May Talos guide you

Postby french ninja » Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 pm

What's to say vampire territories have to line up with those of mortals?
Drakenkrag could be fighting a war with a vampire clan from High Rock, like the Lyrezi. It wouldn't have to be a fully fleshed out faction, just 2-3 dungeons in the Reach/Haafingar. We could also work with P:C and incorporate whatever clan they have around Chorrol into quests
Volkihar could be trying to root out Quarra settlers from Morrowind.
etc
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Postby KingHelseth » Sat May 11, 2013 5:09 am

Good idea french ninja, but it would be nice to have at least one fully fleshed out faction.
May Talos guide you

Postby TheLexicon » Sat May 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Just found this thread, and I'd like to bring to attention another idea. What will be trying to kill the vampires? Was the Dawnguard founded back then? If not, will there be another vampire-slaying faction?

Postby Griff » Sat May 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Whats with having everything that is featured in TESV in are version of skyrim ?
Interiors completed: 9

Postby KingHelseth » Sat May 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Griff:
I've never played Dawnguard so I didn't know about Falmer ruins included in it.
Also it's lore. Vampires are in Skyrim. Also in Oblivion some books talk about Skyrim vampires.

TheLexicon:
The Dawnguard was founded and disbanded in the Second Era and reformed during the events of TES V, so no Dawnguard.
May Talos guide you

Postby Luxray » Sat May 11, 2013 5:06 pm

I wasn't really a fan of how the Volkihar were presented in Dawnguard, a big bad evil castle is just silly. Caves and ruins are much better.

I love french ninja's idea of warring against other vampire clans.
Omnia In Nihil wrote:The colouring of rugs is always a complicated issue, as you have to find a balance between individual creativity and lore-friendliness.

Postby KingHelseth » Sat May 11, 2013 5:31 pm

I saw a couple of pics and videos and I agree with you: the Volkihar are the stereotypical vampires in Dawnguard.
May Talos guide you

Postby Griff » Sat May 11, 2013 8:11 pm

KingHelseth wrote:Griff:
I've never played Dawnguard so I didn't know about Falmer ruins included in it.
Also it's lore. Vampires are in Skyrim. Also in Oblivion some books talk about Skyrim vampires.

I know my lore thank you. and it was more towards lexicon, next it would be lets have Dwemer ruins everywhere because that's how it is in TES V maybe some steam powered guns etc etc
Interiors completed: 9

Postby Yeti » Sun May 12, 2013 12:51 am

What lame dev over at Bethesda pulled Sanguinare Vampiris out of their rear end? That's a pretty lame name for a vampire disease. Vampiris? Really? They couldn't come up with something better than that? They might as well change Lycanthropy to Werewolfitis next.

I fail to see any reason why vampirism in Skyrim should be caused by a different disease, especially if there isn't anything interesting that distinguishes it from Porphyric Hemophilia. If you can't change something for the better, there's no need to change it at all.

For the TYKTERION CLAN, why would vampires give a crap about Jagar Tharn? I got the impression that as long as they have necks to bite, vampires wouldn't really care who's ruling over the mortals/prey.

Otherwise, I'm completely in favor of coming up with unique histories for our vampire clans. I've always felt the clans from Morrowind were lacking in terms of backstory. The fact that they were basically stand-ins for warrior, mage, and thief archetypes also made them rather uninteresting. They felt more like a game play feature than an intricate part of the game world.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby Rattfink333 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:10 am

probably an inside joke. After all that basically translates to bloody vampire.....bloody vampires..
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby KingHelseth » Sun May 12, 2013 8:29 am

Porphyric Hemophilia... hemophilia literally translates from greek "friend of blood" thus vampire.
Sanguinare Vampiris translates from latin/italian "bleeding of the vampire".
Sanguinare vampiris and Porphyric Hemophilia have different symptoms.

Well, we could add something that Jagar Tharn was planning to do.
May Talos guide you

Return to Skyrim Discussion