Tinting stone textures gray

Postby Worsas » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Since the use of brown or yellow stonework next to mostly gray rocks in the environment has always been bugging me to an extent, I have gone ahead and tinted almost all of our stonework and rocky ground textures to match the 04-rocks in color. Moreover I have tweaked snowy and greenish versions of the 04-rock texture to match the current version of Tx_Skyrim_rock_04.dds better.

Though, it is just an experiment and may create a questionable appearance in some places. Stonework and rocks in the environment do not match in vanilla morrowind either (just look at the imperial forts to have an example), but I dare to claim that you notice it more easily in our mod as you have many more rocks around and they look more likely to be used as building material.

Well, judge yourself. In my opinion, the ground stones in karthgad look quite good when recolored, for one. It might end up too bleak, if any stone work is given a grey tint in our mod (or the loss of color is compensated in other places)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1zgjjnhwfrn6q34/fgPKAz0-Jy

Re: Tinting stone textures gray

Postby roerich » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:59 pm

I am OK with this. Looks much better!
Thane of Interiors

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:39 pm

Nice to see you around, mate ;)

The groundstones in Karthgad look pretty cool

I like the idea of adjusting the color a lot, but in general I'm not a great fan of extremly low saturation.

I tried a different approach as a test using color adjustment layers and a few other textures and maps in overlay.

The result looks like this

I think it could even be a bit darker I guess and use some dirt on the wall since it looks still a bit too clean. What do you think?

Edit:

Another version. Personally I like this better than the version I've shown above

As for the breton ruins you could count everything in Skyrim Data as outdated...with reworking the dungeon I also started an complete overhaul on the towers as well since they looked much too blocky and cheap compared to the new version of the dungeon set. The look and the dimensions are the same, but without that extremly lowpolyish look
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:52 am

Not really on topic but otherwise fitting

The new version of the Markarth Side City Walls I did a couple weeks ago. It's not a retexture of the old version, every mesh got a view tweaks and a complete new UV Layout, since I wasn't too happy with former UV's anymore.

The more I think about it, the more I share Worsas worries that everything could end up in pale grey if we change every rock to grey.

Esspecially since our sightblocker part of Hammerfell has/ will have some brownish rocks and it is more likely that redguards will take their bricks from Hammerfell than from Skyrim.

On the other hand in TES5 we only have grey bricks and it wasn't really disturbing too.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Yeti » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Those walls are looking good, Lestat. I can't wait to see how we end up combining them and the other Nord architecture with Direnni ruins once we get to Markarth Side.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks Yeti, glad you like it.

The only thing I'm not satisfied with is that the moss on the bottom looks too dark from a distance, but I'll wait how it looks within a finished environment before I will decrease the opacitylevel of the decal layer
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Luxray » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Those pictures of the Markarth walls... what a view outside! This is the sort of stuff that I joined up to see :mrgreen: Markarth is going to be a really exciting city.

I didn't think I would like how the grey tinting would look (I'm quite accustomed to the yellowish tones by now) but I agree it does look better.
Omnia In Nihil wrote:The colouring of rugs is always a complicated issue, as you have to find a balance between individual creativity and lore-friendliness.

Postby Aminaweni » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:46 am

I am quite sure there are ways to "grab" engine render calls that would allow you to take/grab shots of the textures used during rendering...
go!

Return to Models & Textures