Nord Houses The Reach

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Nord Houses The Reach

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:18 pm

This Topic should collect ideas and reference pics for Nord Houses in The Reach.

For the modelling task itself we need

3-4 lower class houses
3-4 middle class houses
3-4 upper class houses
2 farm houses

The buildings should be used in Markarth Side and Snowhawk. Since the towns are capital/ former capital, please don't come up with ideas for log cabins or other hermit like bulding...the buildings should suit the flair of a capital, not the wealthiest in Skyrim, but not primitive.

Maybe a view on the city walls will be helpful.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Muspila

Re: Nord Houses The Reach

Postby Muspila » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:33 pm

One thing we should make is a full-flair barn for the farms in the area with a roof on one side getting less steep, as seen on this foto:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/orig ... 920389.jpg

And while googling for barn-pictures, I stumbled over these two fotos:
http://www.stefanlubs.de/resources/099+ ... ne+WEB.jpg
http://www.bauernhausfreunde.de/mittelbueg_scheune.jpg

Postby Praedator » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:37 am

Muspila wrote:One thing we should make is a full-flair barn for the farms in the area with a roof on one side getting less steep, as seen on this foto:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/orig ... 920389.jpg

And while googling for barn-pictures, I stumbled over these two fotos:
http://www.stefanlubs.de/resources/099+ ... ne+WEB.jpg
http://www.bauernhausfreunde.de/mittelbueg_scheune.jpg

I like the last one best.

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:49 pm

This is an idea I have had a while ago that might not work here but I'll show it nevertheless:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/stonepile.jpg

Nord houses standing on such stone piles. The idea here is that Nords wanted to present supremacy over the foreign people living in The Reach and therefore built their houses on such piles.
Basically we could keep that stone pile as a seperate mesh and put houses on top of it that are supposed to be the houses of the Nords (upper class people).

The stone pile as such is not finished and will be refined should we use it here.

Postby Rattfink333 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:37 am

would be a great way to mark out the local chiefs house. maybe make one a little smoother on top. for a central place for those totems that were made. Just in a few places. They should be misc decorations elsewhere.
Paladin of Vaermina

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:49 pm

We have been talking a lot about Statues of Nord-deities, but none have been modelled. The ones you are probably referring to are Reachmen-idols of Aldmeri gods, therefore unthinkable in nord-occupied places like Markarth and Snowhawk. Even in Karthwasten you should not see them outside of houses, I guess.

In TES V Markarth contains the temple of Dibella. Although our Markarth is not a dwemer fortress, I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to show a crude Nord-dibella made from Stone and put the sanctuary of Dibella in this town. Coming back to the idea of the sanctuaries we have been talking about. If you remember how I've been saying that each member of the panteon should get a sanctuary in Skyrim, but not necessarily inside of towns:

Maras and Dibellas sanctuaries, women oriented, should be in the shelter of cities. Still other sanctuaries like the Herma Mora-, Mauloch- or Orkey-One could be dungeons you have to fight your way through, somewhere outside in the wilderness or in the underground of cities. I'm thinking Herma Moras Sanctuary would fit well somewhere below Winterhold due to his relation to Ysgramor and the Winterhold College where they adore Knowledge.

As for Dibella and her Sanctuary in Skyrim. I'm thinking of showing those priestresses less graceful, more like spoiled whores to show a contrast to the more sophisticated Dibella-Cults of Cyrodiil.
Alternatively, as it is the goddess of beauty, a mere artistry-related cult would also be possible, not even necessarily dominated by women, the cult could aswell evolve around wood-artistry and have mostly male priests.

Edit: As for the presentation of Dibella, a Menhir with an esthetic Dibella Motif could suffice. But anything more complex would probably not harm.

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Here an attempt at making something like a Dibella-Stone. Dibella is often symbolized by a lily, thus the two lilies.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/DibellaRock.jpg

I wonder if this would be too crude for something standing for Dibellas presence. It would maybe work if the worship of Dibella evolved around artistry (handcrafts) more than beauty of people and erotic. Would be good to hear what you others think of this.

Postby SamirA » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:17 pm

As something to honor Dibella and not a statue of her, I think this is a nice representation. It certainly fit's with the art style of Skyrim which has been done very well, so I am all for things of this nature.

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:03 am

I sometimes wonder if runestones as such are something of past times of Nord Culture that you should only see in ruins and barrows.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks for your input guys.

Could you please post pictures or drawings for the city houses as well? I'm probably interested in modeling those houses, but I can't model anything if I don't have any kind of concept art.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:Thanks for your input guys.

Could you please post pictures or drawings for the city houses as well? I'm probably interested in modeling those houses, but I can't model anything if I don't have any kind of concept art.

I believe this city should be designed as whole, not only individual houses. Everything should flow into each other and feel good together. Nord houses and aldmeri structures should flow into each other where there are aldmeri structures. The houses should feel right next to the wallwork. For that reason I think we should not use the stone-piles i suggested earlier.

Could you maybe provide a couple of perspectives on the layout of the city? This could help people to get a feeling of it. We might want to create a vista on the city by making a paintover using one or more of the perspective screenshots (which should show the inside of the place). You know what I mean by a paintover?

I might ask Nalin to create a paintover as he is familiar with making them and he is a capable concept artist. Alternatively, if we can get Oskar, we should maybe ask Oskar. In any case I would look for a capable concept artist who enables us to create the most impressive city we can create.

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:26 am

A couple of shapes I'm not sure about:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/houses1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/houses2.jpg

The main idea behind those broad basements was to give the houses an imposing character, pretty much what i meant to do by the earlier suggested stone piles.
The house on top of the second picture is meant to be dibellas temple, therefore looking that ornate.

I cannot really imagine these houses fitting well into the overall-picture. What I actually have in mind are houses most of which have one-sided roofs that you can combine with wallwork and direnni structures and wooden frameworks with several levels that can be added to existing Direnni structures and wooden stairs leading from one level to the other.

I would really have to have the city layout to try out the shapes. And crap, I do not actually have time to do all this. :cry: I have a particular picture in mind for how it could look when you enter the city, but it would be a lot easier to model those things right away and try them out on the actual exterior than describing and sketching them here.

There is an idea I have how we could tackle this task jointly, but it would be a lot easier to speak about this on Skype. You see I'm quite undecisive about a lot of things.

Postby Rattfink333 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:35 am

maybe something like carcassonne france. two and three story stone and wood houses all laid out crooked and jumbled together. just done in stone and wood. not stucco.
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:52 am

Muspila wrote:What I actually have in mind are houses most of which have one-sided roofs that you can combine with wallwork and direnni structures and wooden frameworks with several levels that can be added to existing Direnni structures and wooden stairs leading from one level to the other.

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to give those houses some kind of dependency to the direnni structures! Since we originally wanted to use the houses in Snowhawk too, it would require to make a new set of houses for Snowhawk if the houses for Markarth won't work as standalones.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to give those houses some kind of dependency to the direnni structures! Since we originally wanted to use the houses in Snowhawk too, it would require to make a new set of houses for Snowhawk if the houses for Markarth won't work as standalones.

I was not thinking of dependency but combinability. What i meant are houses that can be used on their own but will look good if you add them to foreign structures.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Ahh, ok, then I misunderstood your post

btw, I use the PC of my girlfriend for internet the next days. The power switch of my internet PC seems to be broken. I hope it really only the switch and I have my own PC back in the end of the week. Means I can't check my emails, only PMs at ShotN Forums or BGSF.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:Ahh, ok, then I misunderstood your post

btw, I use the PC of my girlfriend for internet the next days. The power switch of my internet PC seems to be broken. I hope it is really only the switch and I have my own PC back in the end of the week. Means I can't check my emails, only PMs at ShotN Forums or BGSF.

Crap that is. I hope you'll get everything fixed.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:50 pm

The first house from Muspilas concept are is done

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby SamirA » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:59 pm

Nice, I like that.

Postby Praedator » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:51 pm

That looks awesome! I like the whole stone base as well.

Next

Return to Models & Textures