Tales from the crypt - Lestats Modelling Blog

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Tales from the crypt - Lestats Modelling Blog

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Fri May 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Finally I've realized that I havn't continued my modelling blog since we have our new forum. Sorry for that.

I'll start this new one with a scene that has nothing to do with the Elder Scrolls at all. It's my first project I've made for my game design class and the topic was to make a interpretation of a film/ game poster with toy characters and I chose American McGees Alice.

The scene was modeled and rendered in Maya 2012

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Re: Tales from the crypt - Lestats Modelling Blog

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:40 am

UV Mapped cylindrical, tileable surface

Front:

Back:

Top:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:11 pm

More UV Mapped, cylindrical, tileable surfaces

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Worsas » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Looks like a cool keep and really fits to the surroundings. A little suggestion: Make some rubble and more destroyed elements around it, if it is supposed to be a ruin.

Edit: I don't know but would it be possible to have the wall-texture tiling one time less over the mesh so the individual wall-stones are bigger? Alternatively (maybe the better choice) make the whole keep just a bit bigger?

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions...Rubble will come later, there are still many parts that need to be modeled before it can be called "finished" ;)

The scale is 1:1 like the original, not sure if the pieces are still tiling (except if you scale them to 200%) if the 3d scale is different than it is...I don't think so since I tried it in the past and the result was a mess...but in Oblivion the scale of the player camera is different than in Morrowind, therefore the Keep could look bigger in TES4.

The uv mapping is made to make the meshes tileable without texture seams on all 4 sides (except the Basement meshes), if the scale of the map is changed it won't tile seamless anymore, but a different brick size could be achieved by editing the brick texture later.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby SamirA » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Are these the Reman ruins from Oblivion? So glad to see that getting some work selfishly since we get to use them at P:C too haha. Looks good so far Lestat, you and Worsas keep putting quality model work out here at SHotN and the mod is going to be all the better for it. I love seeing you guys' WIPs.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 pm

SamirA wrote:Are these the Reman ruins from Oblivion? So glad to see that getting some work selfishly since we get to use them at P:C too haha. Looks good so far Lestat, you and Worsas keep putting quality model work out here at SHotN and the mod is going to be all the better for it. I love seeing you guys' WIPs.

They are the remakes of the Reman ruins, yes...but so far on a early stage.

Sure, I'll share the models and textures with P:C as soon as the ruins reached a final stage, but if you want to use it, P:C has to assure me that my models and textures will not be an open resource after a release.

I don't want to see my models used in junk mods or house mods. Maybe someday I'll decide to make them an open resource, probably after the final release of ShotN but not sooner. I've spent (and will spend) too much time on recreating the tiles as original as possible and don't want to see them used by noobs building reman ruins on Vvardenfell. (Not because I'm an asshole, but I want to have at least a little bit of control who is using my stuff until I will decide I don't care anymore)

I can't tell you a special date when the exterior set will be finish, but I guess it will be done until the end of the year since I have to take care about the Markarth models and to model, rig, skin, animate all the stuff in Maya for my game design education. I'll post a last update tomorrow, then I'll have to make the game character for my course and will pick up my work on the ruins after the 7. August again.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Worsas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:25 am

When you guys at P:C get this from lestats scaled claws, I suggest you putting a different texture on this for a bit distinction between the provinces.
From what I know these ruins are also supposed to be our counterparts of the regular forts in TES V, and from what I've been told, they will also incorporate elements of the TES V - Forts at some point. Correct me, if I'm mixing up something.

The main reason why I bother about the bricksize is the following: Using big (mostly natural-shaped) boulders in their wallwork is a part of nord culture and not only limited to structures of the first empire or the merethic era Skyrim. Both TES V and Bloodmoon display this pretty well. And while the reman era forts in Skyrim may have been initiated by the 2nd empire, it's been Nords who've been building them (well, as much as you can make such assumption in a fantasy universe).

Postby SamirA » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Yeah that's no problem Lestat, whenever you make something that fits both provinces I can surely set that into a special category.

Worsas, yeah no problem. We would probably infuse a bit more brown into them for distinction as well as only using ruin pieces to create small things similar to what was seen in Oblivion.

Anything you guys get from us can be used as a free resource however, so no such restrictions are needed coming from us.

Postby french ninja » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:23 am

You could problably add a mossy texture for P:C ruins in Nibenay. Look at these Mayan ruins:
Or these roman ruins:

For SHotN, small brown tundra plants could be placed inside cracks of the castle.
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Postby SamirA » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:58 am

Thats a good idea French.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 am

french ninja wrote:
For SHotN, small brown tundra plants could be placed inside cracks of the castle.

For such plants I'll make transparent tilable meshes with plants when the exterior set is done...the problem with directy adding them to the texture is that we would need 2-3 versions of the same set, because of the different environments in Skyrim.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby SamirA » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:25 am

I thought he meant meshes, I could be wrong though.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:06 am

A WIP Screen from my Game Character

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Today the Gamecharacter task was finished and here is the final character sheet for the presentation. The last weeks I've UV-mapped. textured, rigged, skinned and rendered the character.

Finally I've more time to model for ShotN again
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks for sharing this Lestat :)
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Postby Worsas » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:07 pm

I meant to comment earlier saying that your character looks quite nice. Not sure why other people do not comment but I don't think there is anything bad involved.

Postby Yeti » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:04 am

Look's really cool Lestat. Very professional 8-)
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby Scamp » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Sure reminds me of something. I agree with Yeti and Worsas, looks very neat and professional!
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks guys,

my comment wasn't meant to force you to leave a comment, it was more made in a raptus of self-mockery since I wasn't sure if anybody is interested in the thread. :P

Here is a new battleaxe for ShotN

Reference Picture:

See you soon
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
return 0;
}

Next

Return to Models & Textures