Berandas' workshop

Re: Berandas' workshop

Postby Lord Berandas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:21 pm

So, I took a look at those straw decorations - they can be found in Whiterun and Windhelm, and cannot be found in Solitude. (I didn't look in other cities, because my game crashed several times then...)

Here is the first preview of meshes, it would need some more texture tweaking, I'm going to finish (hopefuly) it tomorrow.

(Texture size is reduced to 256x256 because I can upload only small file)

edit: deleted the file, I'll post updated files later
Last edited by Lord Berandas on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lord Berandas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:27 pm

I have also updated some of my older meshes (added vertex shading where was missing, fixed UV mapping), here it is:
Tents.rar

Sleds.rar

Signposts.rar

Please update those used in Shotn data.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Worsas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:15 pm

The straw stuff looks good. Sure, it would be good to have those textures in higher resolution.

Please update those used in Shotn data.

Rather post such requests in the update-request-thread to make sure your stuff isn't overlooked.
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=306

Postby Lord Berandas » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:34 pm

Hello Worsas, I need your help with another problem... ;)
I've finished those straw thing - everything looks fine in Blender, also in NifSkope, but when I add them in TESCS, those straw textures don't appear - they're just white. I've checked texture files and they're working properly, resolution is POW2, I tried even a .tga format (because those feathers are .tga file and it works fine in CS) but nothing changed. I have no idea what could be causing this.
Do you have any clue?

Postby Worsas » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:15 pm

I've finished those straw thing - everything looks fine in Blender, also in NifSkope, but when I add them in TESCS, those straw textures don't appear - they're just white. I've checked texture files and they're working properly, resolution is POW2, I tried even a .tga format (because those feathers are .tga file and it works fine in CS) but nothing changed. I have no idea what could be causing this.
Do you have any clue?

I just downloaded your above-samples again and meshes+textures show up just fine in the Construction Set.

Postby Lord Berandas » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Yea, that's because it wasn't updated... :)
Try these:

edit: file deleted, updated file posted below
Last edited by Lord Berandas on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Worsas » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Something must be wrong about the dds-files. I couldn't get them opened. Did you use any particular compression-method when saving them?
The file-sizes are odd. When I save a 128²-dds the resulting file-size will be either 11 kb or 22kb, depending on whether I use DXT1 or DXT3/DXT5 as compression-method. Your dds-files have a size of 16.5 kb.

I checked now and it seems that a 64²-dds I create without compression nor mipmaps ends up with a filesize of 16.5 kb. However that dds I'm still able to open with my image-program at least.

That aside I was able to view the meshes themselves in Nifskope and the textures looked even blurrier than before. What's up with that?

Postby Lord Berandas » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:07 pm

That's weird, I've created them in Photoshop with nvidia plugin (version 8.53.0521.1800 I guess) under "8.8.8 RGB 24bpp unsigned" setting and then I scaled them down in XnView to 128x128 (that's why the blur) beacuse of the upload package size, but I can open them all both in Ps and XnView, and they display correctly in NifSkope. I believe there could be some issue with rescaling in XnView, athough I can open it easily, so I tried to export them again from .psd file - I tried "DXT5", "DXT3" and "DXT1 no alpha", but nothing works.

Is the Ps dds setting correct? Or what settings should I use for Morrowind .dds files?

edit: okay, I just re-opened Ps and tried some of the formats again - DXT5 works now. I don't know if I did something wrong last time, or if it was just some bug...but it now shows okay ingame. Thanks for help.

Here is the final version (I hope it will work on your side... :D )

edit: updated file posted below
Last edited by Lord Berandas on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Worsas » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Could you still try to get the non-alpha-textures working with DXT1 as compressing-method to save some filesize? I'm sorry for coming up with this right now, but I suddenly realise that there are quite a few things that still ought to be improved.

I'm not quite satisfied about the sky_canvas_rough.dds. It does not seem to work well together with the various sky_wickerwork_round_XX.dds and judging from the rolemodel in TES V, something like
this or this would work much better as a base for your texture.

Moreover, the lightness and saturation of the various sky_wickerwork_round_XX.dds should get reduced. Perhaps you could use our nord-tapestry as a reference. Make sure all of your textures, including the new sky_canvas_rough.dds match in lightness, saturation and contrast.
Last edited by Worsas on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lord Berandas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Sure thing Worsas, you're the boss. :D
Your "this and that" links give me a 404, could you post them again please?
I will redo the textures by the end of this week.

Postby Worsas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Oh well, I don't want to be anybody's boss, really. Even though I sometimes command you or others around. Bad habit...

I have fixed the two links above.

Postby Lord Berandas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to use before I started, but then I didn't findy anything useful on the internet, so I tried something different.
Tell me Worsas, should I register to sites like that one? Are these textures freely to use or so?

Postby Worsas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Lord Berandas wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to use before I started, but then I didn't findy anything useful on the internet, so I tried something different.
Tell me Worsas, should I register to sites like that one? Are these textures freely to use or so?

Yes, the textures on cgtextures.com are free to use for non-commercial projects like us.

Postby Lord Berandas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Okay, I did some work on the textures, it's nothing fancy...let me know what you think of it. ;)
I also tried to make some progress with mammoth animation, but all I did was part of walk animation and then I scrapped it, because I was not happy with it.
This is like for the third time, it drives me crazy! :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Worsas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 am

A lot better!

I think they would be ready to get included in Skyrim-Data then. They are nicely highres and do not look out of place.

I also tried to make some progress with mammoth animation, but all I did was part of walk animation and then I scrapped it, because I was not happy with it.
This is like for the third time, it drives me crazy! :(

Have you tried making the animation with IK-Resolvers yet? I've been using IK-Resolvers to make two recent creature animations. Walking- and running animations are much easier to get right with them.

But there are a few things to take into account though:
-You must use "bake constraints" (to be found in the script windows under "animation") in order to make the animation usable for Morrowind
-Use "bake constraints" before you move onto making dead- or knockdown/knockout-animations. Making those with the IK-Resolver and baking it afterwards will possibly screw that part of the animation.
-Do not clean the ipo-curves once you have used "Bake constraints".
-Instead of calling the armature "bip01", give it a different name and call the first bone in the bone hierarchy "bip01". Like that the creature will use the position-data from within the armature to make the creature move onwards. The global axis and the local axis of the armature should match.

Postby Lord Berandas » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Yes, I was using the IK and I had a lot of time today, so I make some progress. It just needs time...and patience...and more time.

Also I have some more daggerfall meshes which will have no use in this mod, so here you can see them. :lol:
And once again, I am going to ask if you really don't want the malachite weapons set. :-)
I was thinking about uploading my work somwhere as free resources.
Malachite_weapons.rar

Postby Lord Berandas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 pm

...and how about some plows?

Postby Luxray » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Those look good, Berandas!

I'm a NifSkope idiot, is there an easy way to get the textures to show in that program? Whenever I load a .nif it comes up white.
[Actually, thinking about it, do I need to put them in the right directory first? I usually have them on the desktop, but it would make sense if they needed to be in data files or the like]
Omnia In Nihil wrote:The colouring of rugs is always a complicated issue, as you have to find a balance between individual creativity and lore-friendliness.

Postby Worsas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:36 pm

You can add folders to the texture-searchpath of Nifskope under the render->Settings.

Postby Lord Berandas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:36 pm

"File > Reource Files - Automatic Selection" works for me as well.

Btw, would there be some use for a giant bullfrog creature?

PreviousNext

Return to Models & Textures