Re: Muspilas Models

Postby Muspila » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm

A Reachmen-statue of Magus.

Edit:
And Trinimac

Postby french ninja » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:15 am

Now this is what I'm talking about. :)

I like the simple woodcut art for the reachmen. Kinda reminds me of easter island heads.

For old Trinny, I might give him elf ears to distinguish him as a aldmer hero. Also, for Magnus, I might put a simple staff in his hand, as that was what he is associated with:
The god of sorcery, Magnus withdrew from the creation of the world at the last second, though it cost him dearly. What is left of him on the world is felt and controlled by mortals as magic. One story says that, while the idea was thought up by Lorkhan, it was Magnus who created the schematics and diagrams needed to construct the mortal plane. He is sometimes represented by an astrolabe, a telescope, or, more commonly, a staff. Cyrodilic legends say he can inhabit the bodies of powerful magicians and lend them his power. He was associated with Zurin Arctus, the Underking.

Other possible gods:
-Xarxes, aldmeri god of secret knowledge and ancestry (given the reachmen's own interesting ancestry, we could do something interesting with this)
-Mara, but perhaps the version where she is combined with Nir?
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Mara
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:52 pm

Late reply.

I'm going to give Magus a staff, but I wouldn't like to give Trinimac ears. It would take away from the tribal, abstract character of the statue.

My idea for Xarxes is to put something like a tree into his hand to symbolize ancestry and something like a chest into his other hand.

I'm not sure what to do about Mara yet. A big bosom?

Postby SamirA » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:25 pm

In many places around the world there are fertility statues found from early Human history and they all have big bosoms and hips. Would be good to do that or at least what you suggested for Mara. Fits the tribal nature and the goddess.

Postby french ninja » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:15 pm

I like the tree idea.

SamirA: Like these?

Postby SamirA » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Yes, there are even more primitive ones though. You get the idea though.

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Here you go

Postby SamirA » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:57 am

I like them, though Mara underwhelms. She needs something else. I don't know what. The Reachmen must ascociate something with fertility though. She just seems a bit plain without anything on her. Everyone else is much more elaborate.

Postby french ninja » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:19 am

Maybe have her holding a baby?

Or perhaps better, work this into her woodcut somehow:

Postby Lady Nerevar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 pm

My inner art historian tells me that she's missing a giant boner.

What? :roll:

Although erections are pretty common on fertility statues, another option would be a bushel of grain or fruit.

I'm absolutely in love with how this is turning out, btw. In my book, its as good as official.

Postby Wollibeebee » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:05 am

aren't female fertility things usually pregnant? not hard?

so much win in this thread muspila!

Postby Scamp » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:41 am

Muspila is the man!
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Although erections are pretty common on fertility statues, another option would be a bushel of grain or fruit.

I know the fruit-element from Germanic/celton/roman matrons, those trinity godesses that are known from the first centuries after christ.

As for the wooden idols, I took very roughly orientation on Germanic wooden pole idols such as this one
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... figure.JPG

And you might know this one aswell, showing the Germanic god fricco which, as far as I know, was some kind of fertility god:
http://www.starlessnight.net/asa/img/misc/freyr.jpg

Penises everywhere, but I prefer the bushel of grain though. Good idea. :D

I took a little break from these idols and turned towards stuff for Karthwasten and Dragonstar
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/d ... rstuff.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/d ... stuff2.jpg

Obviously you are seeing more breton-nordic-influence than redguard-one right now. Eventually there is going to be a visible streak of redguard-influence but nothing along the lines of flat roofed-houses, those would not make sense in a temperate area like this. Dragonstar is shown as a settlement of "western character" in Shadowkey too as you can see on this map.
http://images.uesp.net/8/88/Shadowkey_Map.jpg

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:43 pm

For now neither Nir nor boner. To me this looked the best, also since agriculture seems to play a role for Reachmen.

And trinimac has also been tweaked slightly, but nothing worth showing off here.

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:21 pm

An attempt towards creating a Redguard/Nord/Breton hybrid-architecture.

In combination with other buildings:

Edit:
Obviously you are seeing more breton-nordic-influence than redguard-one right now. Eventually there is going to be a visible streak of redguard-influence but nothing along the lines of flat roofed-houses, those would not make sense in a temperate area like this. Dragonstar is shown as a settlement of "western character" in Shadowkey too as you can see on this map.
http://images.uesp.net/8/88/Shadowkey_Map.jpg

Oh crap.. Did I really write this?

Postby Dirnae » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:42 pm

lawl, I did like the house though.
[11:05:43] Wolli: ah yeharp, i felled the [NUG-RI-BOOGAR] felf too MK!

Postby GAYLORD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:32 am

Those house models look neat, nice attention to details. What bothers me a bit, not only about the houses, but the whole project, is that everything looks so clean, as if it never has been used or exposed to the rough weather in Skyrim.

You guys should add some damaged parts, some withered materials, moss covered parts, burnt walls etc. This would make it far more believeable. I'd also suggest not to use so much tiled textures for houses, the repetitions of the texture are much too obvious. For the environment the same, the screens look like an oil painting, beautiful but way too clean. No holes or puddles of mud in the ground, no traces of foot, vehicle prints and so on.

I'd suggest to make some nice variations of the standard textures and add some details with different decals, which can be dled from cgtextures for example all done yet.

PS: Not ment as a critic, just spreading some ideas!!! ;)

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:22 am

@ Muspila

Nice design on the houses, it really looks like a fusion of of Breton/ Redguard architecture

@ Gaylord

The problem is the game itself. The TES3 landmesh for example is terrible low poly compared with modern games so it is nearly impossibe to add some fine details to the ground without resulting in a disgusting looking trianglish surface. (I think Scamp will agree with me in that point)
For example a exterior cell in TES4 has nearlly the same polycount and in TES3, but only 1/4 of it's size. Compared to the surface area of a TES3 cell, TES4 has four tlmes to polycount of TES3 which provides you many more polygons to work on fine details without looking crappy.

However one option is variations on the textures, for example 2 or 3 variations on the base texture with details like footprints for example. A while ago I tried something like that in Haafinheim, but I gave up because the MWEngine produced weird looking parts when rendering the 2 textures, but my additions wasn't made from the same texture. Probably those disturbing parts can be avoided if the detail texture is just a variaion of the base texture.

The question is if it is really worth the effort because those added details to a texture will be barly noticeable because of the extensive use of groundcover.

Check add you will see what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPWiEc6xnqw

In general I like the texture addition idea, but I'm not sure if it is just spending time on a wrong area, since stuff like that isn't even done in new games that come out these days.

Anyway, keep in mind that the NetImmerse Engine was written over a decade ago, compared to the modern Gamebryo versions used in TES4 or Fallout 3 it looks like a time travel from the possibilities ;)

@ Muspila

Sorry for highjacking your thread
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

PreviousNext

Return to Models & Textures