Muspilas Models

Re: Muspilas Models

Postby GAYLORD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:42 am

Yeah, I know the limitations very well, have been a modder myself ages ago! :lol: Have no experience with MGE, but if you use the same base texture as you said, there should be no probs. Just make sure the bordering regions remain untouched, so they blend together nicely. I've done this several times and it takes 5 minutes to set up some texture variations.

In case the ground is covered it makes no sense to add details, but especially on roads, near houses etc. some bloodstains or footprints on the ground can draw the players attention to it and maybe lead to an opportunity to find loot or a new sidequest.

The terrain in CS can be used as base, but you can make any topology you like to with custom rock meshes. The Tes V terrain is nothing different.

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:45 am

Those house models look neat, nice attention to details. What bothers me a bit, not only about the houses, but the whole project, is that everything looks so clean, as if it never has been used or exposed to the rough weather in Skyrim.

You guys should add some damaged parts, some withered materials, moss covered parts, burnt walls etc. This would make it far more believeable. I'd also suggest not to use so much tiled textures for houses, the repetitions of the texture are much too obvious. For the environment the same, the screens look like an oil painting, beautiful but way too clean. No holes or puddles of mud in the ground, no traces of foot, vehicle prints and so on.

I'd suggest to make some nice variations of the standard textures and add some details with different decals, which can be dled from cgtextures for example all done yet.

I already thought yesterday evening, I should change the upside of the flat roof to something that looks as if rain could have fallen on it in the past which usually leaves some stains behind.

The base houses look so clean and simple for the same reason there are tileable textures used: Tileability.
They get detailled as soon as they are recombined with windows, floors, stairs, walls, corridors, etc in the CS.

But you know what? Karthwasten for one is supposed to be a medi-destroyed city anyway. And there are going to be a lot of house-ruins and rubble and stuff around those places. I guess it will be similar with Dragonstar as there are housefights between Nords and Redguards.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/M ... Houses.jpg

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:32 am

I guess it must be embarassing how I keep showing off this tileset.

Only trying to fix a first bad impression my former screens must have caused. A new plaster texture for a less sterile look here, if that helps:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/NewPlaster.jpg

Postby Dirnae » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:49 am

Nothing to be embarrassed about, the tileset looks good.
[11:05:43] Wolli: ah yeharp, i felled the [NUG-RI-BOOGAR] felf too MK!

Postby Rattfink333 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:39 am

I like the style. you do occasionally see flat roof buildings and houses in a northern climate(used to live up north) and as far as the textures go, you can always hit them with a grunge brush. you can find some at deviantart.
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby Scamp » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:32 pm

It's coolish! The veranda-like things are magnificent.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby Lady Nerevar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Flat roofs aren't really practical in regions where there's a lot of snow. It'd accumulate on top and cause all sorts of damage. Maybe go with a one-way slant ( |\ or /| ), rather than the ^ shape on typical nordic houses? It'd still be unique and suggestive of foreign influence, but a bit more cohesive and sensible imo.

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Lady Nerevar wrote:Flat roofs aren't really practical in regions where there's a lot of snow.

That's true, but those buldings above are meant as a mix of breton/ redguard architecture for Karthwasten in south of The Reach. It's probably the warmest hold since the only area which is covered with snow is Snowhawk County in the north.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Dirnae » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:11 pm

I suppose a low altitude positioning and warm looking area will be vital to making it look believable.
If the area looks like the currently completed reach areas, I'd be cool with that.

I always imagined dragonstar as using natural barriers on either side of the city, due to description in lore.
I imagined it packed into a tight mountain pass, but instead it could easily have cliffs like those currently in the Reach on either side.
That said, I agree with Lady N concerning suitability in genral, though only if the change would be simple enough.

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:39 pm

I could arrange for a slope on those roofs, sure. I'm going to try to think of a good way to make it work, but I don't feel in hurry because those meshes can already be used in their current state unless you place something ontop of the roofs and they could get fixed at any stage later on.

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:16 pm

10 Houseruins:

Keep in mind we want to present a war-shaken area in the western part of the Reach. There is supposed to be a lot of destruction everywhere.

Postby Dirnae » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Sweet.

Postby Scamp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:09 pm

I love the amount of variety.

Postby Worsas » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:26 pm

First update in a long time.

An attempt towards making an entrance to the sanctuary of dibella. Each nordic deity will be given a special sanctuary in Skyrim.
I do not love it yet, not sure what to change. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Postby Worsas » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:15 pm

A few tweaks later:

Postby Rattfink333 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:25 am

wow, just wow. but if this as an entrance/overhang piece. As only just a suggestion. lose the two rudder boards, And make some separate Statue/iconary/votive stone posts for entrance flankers instead.
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby french ninja » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:57 am

That looks just plain cool. Perhaps you could somehow incorporate that symbol of Dibella made awhile ago?
Skyrim's depiction of Dibella. In the nordic pantheon, she, like all the goddesses, are wives of Shor. In her case, she is the "bed-wife of Shor"
"Our chieftain loses heart," Dibella said, Bed-Wife of Shor, hefting another body onto the corpse pile some of us were making, "And so goes to the speak to one that has none anymore. Mirrors, indeed, and in that I see no logic."

Note the lily the statue holds. This has been Dibella's common symbol since Daggerfall. Perhaps some woodcut lillies? running along the beams?
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Postby Worsas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Something rather extraordinary, perhaps:

Postby Rattfink333 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 pm

perfect
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby Scamp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Spiffy, though I have no idea what it would look like with other surroundings, I hope it's not too ornate.

PreviousNext

Return to Models & Textures