The Falmer: Information and Opinion

This Forum is for general Skyrim/ Tamriel lore...you will find Hold related Lore in the Mod Development section

The Falmer: Information and Opinion

Postby french ninja » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:37 am

Assorted Writings:
The Falmer: A Study
I have studied, and traveled, and explored, and observed, and my hypothesis has finally been confirmed: that the twisted Falmer that inhabit the darkest depths of Skyrim are indeed the snow elves of legend.
No one really knows when the story of the snow elves began, but the ancient work "Fall of the Snow Prince," which is an account of the Battle of the Moesring as transcribed by Lokheim, chronicler to the chieftain Ingjaldr White-Eye, gives a rather vivid account of its ending.
According to this eyewitness account, the great Falmer leader known only as the Snow Prince died in glorious battle, and was buried with honor by his Nord slayers. The remaining snow elves were scattered or slain, and were never heard from again. Or so many thought.
But where the story of the ancient snow elves ends, that of the current-day Falmer begins. For when the snow elf host was shattered on that fateful day, it did not simply disperse - it descended. Into the earth, deep underground. For the Falmer sought sanctuary in the most unlikely of places - Blackreach, far beneath the surface of Skyrim, in the legendary realm of the Dwemer themselves.
Yes, Blackreach exists. I have been there, and unlike most of those who have witnessed its terrible glories, I have returned. And I now know the truth about the Falmer.
After their defeat by the Nords, the dwarves of old agreed to protect the Falmer, but at a terrible price. For these Dwemer did not trust their snow elf guests, and forced them to consume the toxic fungi that once grew deep underground. As a result, the snow elves were rendered blind.
Soon, the majestic snow elves were rendered powerless. They became the dwarves' servants... and then their slaves. But the Dwemer's treachery was so deep, so complete, that they made the fungi an essential part of the Falmer's diet. This guaranteed the weakness of not only their current Falmer thralls, but their offspring as well. The snow elves, for time eternal, would be blind.
But as is always the story with slaves and their masters, the Falmer eventually rebelled. Generations after they first sought solace among the dwarves, and experienced bitter betrayal, the Falmer rose up against their oppressors. The [sic] overthrew the dwarves, and fled even further down, into Blackreach's deepest, most hidden reaches.
For decade upon decade, the two sides waged a bitter conflict. A full-fledged and bloody "War of the Crag" that raged deep below Skyrim's surface, completely unbeknownst to the Nords above, a war whose battles and heroes must forever remain lost to our knowledge. Until one day, the war ended. For on that day, the Falmer went to meet their Dwemer foes in battle, only to find that the entire race had... vanished.
Finally free from the threat of their Dwemer overlords, the Falmer were able to spread freely throughout Blackreach. But years of fighting the dwarves had left them bloodthirsty and brutal. Feeling the need to conquer, to kill, they began mounting raids to the surface world.
And so the legends began. Of small, blind, goblin-like creatures who would rise from the cracks of the earth, in the dead of night, to slaughter cattle, attack lonely travelers, and steal sleeping babes from their cribs.
In recent years, however, the sightings of these creatures have become more and more frequent. Their raids, more organized. Their attacks, more brutal. In fact, one might even come to the conclusion that the Falmer are ready to change once again. Could it be true? Are the snow elves of ages past ready to reclaim their long-forgotten glory? Are they ready to surge to the surface, and make war upon the "light dwellers"?
If that happens - if the Falmer are indeed planning on reconquering Skyrim - I fear a horror neither man nor gods could possibly stand against.

The First Pocket Guide to the Empire
Snow Elves
Nords attribute almost any misfortune or disaster to the machinations of the Falmer, or Snow Elves, be it crop failure, missing sheep, or a traveler lost crossing a high pass. These mythical beings are popularly believed to be the descendants of the original Elven population, and are said to reside in the remote mountain fastnesses that cover most of Skyrim. However, there is no tangible evidence that this Elven community survives outside the imaginations of superstitious villagers.

As recorded in the Song of Return, Ysgramor and his family first landed in Tamriel at Hsaarik Head, at the extreme northern tip of Skyrim's Broken Cape, fleeing civil war in Atmora (then rather warmer than at present, as it seems to have supported a substantial population). These first settlers named the land "Mereth", after the Elves that roamed the untamed wilderness which then covered the whole of Tamriel. For a time, relations between Men and Elves were harmonious, and the Nords throve in the new land, summoning more of their kin from the North to build the city of Saarthal, the site of which has recently been located by Imperial archaeologists in the vicinity of modern Winterhold. But the Elves saw that the vital young race would soon surpass their stagnant culture if left unchecked, and fell upon the unsuspecting Nords in the infamous Night of Tears; Saarthal was burned, and only Ysgramor and two of his sons fought free of the carnage and escaped to Atmora. The Elves, however, had reckoned without the indomitable spirit of the Nords. Gathering his legendary Five Hundred Companions (whose names are still recited every Thirteenth of Sun's Dawn at the Feast of the Dead in Windhelm), Ysgramor returned to Tamriel with a vengeance, driving the Elves out of Skyrim and laying the foundations of the first human Empire.
It may be that the exploits of the near-mythical Ysgramor conflate the reigns of several early Nord Kings, as the Elves were not finally driven from the present boundaries of Skyrim until the reign of King Harald, the thirteenth of Ysgramor's line, at the dawn of recorded history.

*It is revealed during the College of Winterhold questline that the real reason (or at least primary reason) the Falmer attacked the Atmoran settlers at Sarthaal was due to the discovery of the Eye of Magnus under Sarthaal.
*Falmer skin is apparently icy white-blue in color.
*Falmer even before the 500 Companions were very reserved from the rest of the world, but had a society just as advanced as the Altmer on the Summerset Isles in the Merethic

The only surviving depiction of a Falmer pre-corruption:

Falmer post-corruption:

*Falmer seem to rely on some kind of bug called a Chaurus, where they use its eggs and chitin for food, weapons and armor.

*Falmer in pre-TES V lore are not common knowledge to the people of Skyrim and are seen by the Nords as a Tamrielic version of evil Leprechauns or pixies. It is not until sometime in the 4th Era that their existence is no longer doubted.

There is a theory at the officials that Wispmothers, spectral creatures in TES V are basically....ancient Falmer lich babes. As you can see, I liked this idea. :lol: :
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/134686 ... ry20317639

My opinion:
IMO, we have 3 options in representing the Falmer and 4 options in showing their ruins in SHotN:
1) TES V's "goblin" falmer, very common in caves and ruins. Mindless drones.
2) A less ugly but still savage looking Falmer (dirty icy blue skin, emaciated patchy hair, etc). They classified as creatures like Ash Zombies. Very rare. Wear tattered clothing and broken armor mended with chitin telling of a golden age long lost. 95% of them will try to kill you on sight.
3) No Falmer

1) Exactly like TES V: Blackreach, Falmer lived with Dwemer in underground cities and became their slaves
2) Falmer ruins get the Ayleid treatment: Falmer Ruins are everywhere
3) Very few special Falmer fort/tomb ruins (7-8 in all of Skyrim) in hidden and secluded areas, like behind waterfalls, in caves, in remote mountain chains. Various tiny open air ruins like outside Kogoruhn found in other places give credence to actual evidence of Falmer cities (not every culture ruins should be underground like Dwemer). 1 or 2 Dwemer ruins in the Velothi mountains and on the Hammerfell border have falmer in homage to TES V. Also in homage to TES V, Blackreach exists but instead of a Dwemer ruin, its a massive cave that many Falmer fled to. They tried to reestablish their culture, ate the mushrooms, slowly became blind, etc.
4) No Falmer Ruins

For the falmer, I like the 2nd option and for the ruins 3. I think it would be pretty cool if you were to go into a secluded falmer ruin filled with traps and when you get to the end, you find a non-hostile delirious Falmer which talks to you in broken Aldmeri as long as you aren't a Nord.
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Re: The Falmer: Information and Opinion

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:15 am

I like option 3/3. (I voted No Falmer (as NPC/ Creature) because to me it felt a bit like if Bethesda would bring the Dwemer back to TES introduced by a obscure introduction. Dwemer and Falmer were one of the last mysteries on Tamriel, now we only have the Dwemer anymore (at least until the next TES game). Therefore I would prefer remains of the Falmer culture like the in egyptian pyramids (not exterior)...secrect passages, traps, riddles, relics and artifacts, maybe some mummies but no walking pharaoh ;)

2/3 is also fine in case if we want some falmer creatures
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby Praedator » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:55 am

2/3 sounds good imo.

Postby Dirnae » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:16 pm

If there's going to be any irrefutable proof it had better be damn well hidden, and so well defended that no fucker except your character would have a chance to see it. :evil:
I'm talking traps, a boss, rooms where shit breaks loose, repetetivley. ;P We could have an imperial archeology guild with all the stuff in Skyrim, with this as a bastard of a dungeon crawl at the end.

About the race itself, I'm sorta with Lestat on this. Sometimes it's better not to show something.
But I'm going to vote 2/3, because TES:V has rendered any mystery obsolete. :|

Regarding Blackreach (no Dwemerish name? Fuck you Bethesda :P ), if that book was written after TES3, then perhaps have an archeology camp saying they think they've found the location of Blackreach, but are waiting for a permit to dig down and excavate.
[11:05:43] Wolli: ah yeharp, i felled the [NUG-RI-BOOGAR] felf too MK!

Postby Scamp » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:48 pm

I like 3/4. Falmer are supposed to be mythical, at least that's what I thought. I don't want them to be shown, nor do I want any ruins. Might be ok to have one or two very well hidden ruins.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby Dirnae » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:02 pm

Well it was, but now everyone who's going to play this will already know that they are actually bug eating mongoloids.

That's my main problem with making them mythical, instead of a 'go out and discover' sort of thing.

Postby Scamp » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:07 pm

I thought we didn't give a shit on what was shown awkwardly in TES:V? When people play ShotN, they will also think Markarth is a dwemer city until they actually visit it.

Postby Dirnae » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:26 pm

Two different contexts, one's a differing visual representation that conflicted with our ideas; the other is trying to suspend an important mystery which has been explained in official lore (which isn't wrong at all, it's just not needed either).

Not showing them at all is a very viable idea. I don't think it will be nearly as fun though, nor that hiding the Falmer from the player is worthwhile anymore. Personally I'd just have one ruin at the end of a questline exploring them, and leave the details as to their existence inconclusive to all but the player. They'd stay mythical in the game world, but the player would be able to obtain some answers to the mystery. Sort of like the 'why did the Dwemer disappear?' questline in MW. I've got ideas, but I don't want to drag on more than I have.

Postby Tes96 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:26 am

Where the fudge did y'all see a snow elf? I've been playing TESV Skyrim for over a week now and haven't ran into any yet.
But I agree with the 3/3 option of French Ninja. I don't want to see any Falmer, and less than 10 ruins/forts/whatever will be good enough. The less you have of something, the more valuable it is. If we were to saturate Skyrim with Falmer ruins like Oblivion did with the Alyied ruins.

@Dirnae, what would "blackreach" be in Dwemer language?
Interior Reviewer
Skyrim: Home of the Nords
Province: Cyrodiil
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby Dirnae » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:21 am

Blacky Reachmuzleft. Fuck, I don't know. A Dwemer sounding name would have been nice though.

Search random caves, they're not massively hard to find, let's say I searched 10 caves, 2 of those were Falmer. Maybe I got lucky though.

Postby Scamp » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Don't look for Falmer in caves. If you want to see a Falmer, I can assure you every dwemer ruin in the game has Falmer in it. I've cleared all of them (and I found it utterly annoying that regardless of what was there in the beginning of the ruin, there were always only Falmer towards the end of the dungeon)

Postby Dirnae » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Ha, I haven't even seen a ruin yet, though to be fair I haven't looked for them, and only managed to pile 20 hours in over 3 characters on steam before getting bored.

Postby Scamp » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:35 pm

I managed 211 hours with one character... weird (and that in less than two months)

Anyway, going waaay off-topic here.

Postby Dirnae » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:58 pm

SKYRIM CAN SUCK MAH BALLS!!!!

Postby SGMonkey » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:12 pm

I dont understand all the TES 5 hate, it's a really good game. Theres bound to be bits people don't like, and they are gonna change lore for whatever reason, but thats no different from any other in the series. Daggerfall had lore than had changed from Arena, and Morrowind had lore that was different in Daggerfall.

At least in Skyrim the people look really fuckin good and not slightly varied like in OB. Oblivion sucks donkey balls compared to Skyrim.
Tonal Architect wrote:Most people are sticklers for lore correctness, I take joy in re-writing it to my liking. Way more fun.

Genius...

Postby Dirnae » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Oh shit guys Dave's getting serious! I wasn't though. :|

It's not TES 5 hate, I'm not saying you can't like it or even that I hate it, I just found it boring as fuck after the first 20 hours (I complete most in less time).
Now back OT to whatever shite it was we were supposed to be talking about, please.

Postby french ninja » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Instead of actual living Falmer, how do Falmer ghosts sound? Even TES III had dwemer ghosts...

My reasoning for having some kind of ruins/tombs is basicially this: isn't it really hard to completely wipe a culture from the archeological record? The Imperials had an even greater reason for wiping out the Ayleids (compare ethnic clensing during one year (Night of Tears) to lighting your children on fire for nighttime tiger hunts for hundreds of years(Ayleid rule of Cyrodiil) and yet their ruins still exist to this day.
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:13 pm

Falmer Ghosts sound excellent imo. maybe like those akaviri ghosts in Oblivion.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby SGMonkey » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 pm

ha ha ha, I wasn't gettin serious, just seems to be a lot of bashing goin on around here.
Tonal Architect wrote:Most people are sticklers for lore correctness, I take joy in re-writing it to my liking. Way more fun.

Genius...

Postby Tes96 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:39 am

Dirnae wrote:Ha, I haven't even seen a ruin yet, though to be fair I haven't looked for them, and only managed to pile 20 hours in over 3 characters on steam before getting bored.
So you're not the only one? The people I talk to who have played it say they got bored as well. It's still fun for me but this is only my second week playing it. I don't find myself staying up til 8am in the morning playing it like I did when I first got Morrowind. But for an action/adventure game, TESV is pretty fun.

I have more fun with Oblivion than Skyrim, despite its obsolete graphics and grotesque NPCs. I can still finger myself and have an orgasm to Daggerfall, since that was the first one I played in 1996. Arena is okay for a dungeon crawl game; I've still yet to finish the main quest and defeat Jagar Tharn. Uhm, hmm, this is rather irrelevant to the original post.

If we do have Falmer ghosts, do they need to be violent? I mean, it seems so cliché and redundant to have a ghost attacking you. I get so sick of violence and battle. If we were to have Falmer ghosts, they could be lost souls or spirits that still think they are in the 1st age but cannot figure out what is happening, like a perennial state of perplexion.

I'd like to see ruins of where Falmer used to live. But like, really destroyed ruins, like an old stone monument or a state of a Falmer god that has only one leg, no arms, no head and part of the chest, but you can just barely make out what it was supposed to be. Or perhaps an area where the falmer used to live but it has been so worn away that the only thing left standing is like, buried remains of stone pillars and maybe part of a stone wall and other archeological evidence. You know, kind of like the stuff we find in ancient Mesopotamia or Egypt or Greece or Rome.
Interior Reviewer
Skyrim: Home of the Nords
Province: Cyrodiil
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Next

Return to Lore