The Falmer: Information and Opinion

This Forum is for general Skyrim/ Tamriel lore...you will find Hold related Lore in the Mod Development section

Re: The Falmer: Information and Opinion

Postby Tes96 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Scamp wrote:I haven't played Dawnguard, but the idea of having a talking Snow Elf doesn't appeal to me...
Having Snow Elves period in the game doesn't appeal to me. I vote for approaching the Falmer in the same way as the Dwemer, as I've stated in a previous post; only their architecture, pottery, weaponry, art, sculptures, etc... are left.
Interior Reviewer
Skyrim: Home of the Nords
Province: Cyrodiil
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby PangeanSage » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Tes96 wrote:
Scamp wrote:I haven't played Dawnguard, but the idea of having a talking Snow Elf doesn't appeal to me...
Having Snow Elves period in the game doesn't appeal to me. I vote for approaching the Falmer in the same way as the Dwemer, as I've stated in a previous post; only their architecture, pottery, weaponry, art, sculptures, etc... are left.

Yes, that wouldn't be such a bad idea either. Though I still like the idea of fighting undead Snow Elves. Maybe there could be a little Easter Egg, with a frozen snow elf encased in ice? I mean even in Morrowind there was that one dwarf who defied the odds. Escaped the destruction of his race, became blighted, etc.

It would relatively be the same principal except the snow elf became frozen. Even Vivec, Almalexia, and Sotha Sil are Chimers. And even though there aren't really any Dwemer in Tamriel, their existence is still in question. They did after all simply vanish. And boy would there be trouble if they ever came back. Speaking of nearly extinct races, after the events of Tribunal, Vivec became the last known living chimer. With the slaying of Almelexia hopes for reproducing chimer offspring have fallen dramatically. Unless... unless Divayth Fyr can make female clones of Vivec...

Postby Yeti » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:39 am

Tes96 wrote:I vote for approaching the Falmer in the same way as the Dwemer, as I've stated in a previous post; only their architecture, pottery, weaponry, art, sculptures, etc... are left.

Again, Yagrum Bagarn, The Last Living Dwarf, says hello. But I agree, we shouldn't include actual Falmer in our mod (that includes undead, I never cared for all the Dwemer ghosts in Morrowind). Not unless we can think up a really cool and tasteful way to do it, like how Beth portrayed good ole' Yagrum.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby PangeanSage » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:52 am

Yeti wrote:
Tes96 wrote:I vote for approaching the Falmer in the same way as the Dwemer, as I've stated in a previous post; only their architecture, pottery, weaponry, art, sculptures, etc... are left.

Again, Yagrum Bagarn, The Last Living Dwarf, says hello. But I agree, we shouldn't include actual Falmer in our mod (that includes undead, I never cared for all the Dwemer ghosts in Morrowind). Not unless we can think up a really cool and tasteful way to do it, like how Beth portrayed good ole' Yagrum.

So the whole Elf in Ice didn't tickle your fancy huh? I thought it was a really good idea given that skyrim can be a very cold place, and seeing how tons of Falmer once thrived there it wouldn't be that inconceivable that one managed to find itself frozen in ice. There could even be a quest for it. Could be in a giant ice cavern... hidden away in some hard to reach crevice... just waiting for an adventurer to accidentally stumble upon it...

Postby Luxray » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:10 pm

I think the idea of treating the Falmer as an 'Easter Elf' is possible. I wouldn't want to see them all over the place, though.
Omnia In Nihil wrote:The colouring of rugs is always a complicated issue, as you have to find a balance between individual creativity and lore-friendliness.

Postby SirEyeball » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:15 pm

2/3 it is a different age than ES 5 anyway so we can do as we please with them. They can change a lot over the years and even multiply that is why I opt the way I do.
Sir Eyeball
Loving that Morrowind is not forgotten

Postby Yeti » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Whatever we do with the Falmer, I'm pretty sure we've agreed upon completely ignoring TESV's interpretation of them. Just like we ignored Dwemer ruins in the Reach.

Postby Yeti » Sun May 11, 2014 9:35 pm

So I've been thinking about the Falmer lately, and I've come to the conclusion that it would be best not to include any significantly large Falmer ruins in Skyrim, thus leaving them as a close to mythological race. Any traces of their remaining cultural relics should be kept subtle. Something along the lines of this footnote from the First Pocket Guide:

"Uncle, I saw signs that might be Falmer boundary-runes, but nothing sure. If any survive, they are wary and withdrawn."

Basically light traces of exterior ruins that are never explicitly described as being Falmer in origin. Leave it up to the players to imagine their origin and the fate of Skyrim's mer-ish population.

Postby Tes96 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Yeti wrote:So I've been thinking about the Falmer lately, and I've come to the conclusion that it would be best not to include any significantly large Falmer ruins in Skyrim, thus leaving them as a close to mythological race. Any traces of their remaining cultural relics should be kept subtle. Something along the lines of this footnote from the First Pocket Guide:

"Uncle, I saw signs that might be Falmer boundary-runes, but nothing sure. If any survive, they are wary and withdrawn."

Basically light traces of exterior ruins that are never explicitly described as being Falmer in origin. Leave it up to the players to imagine their origin and the fate of Skyrim's mer-ish population.

I like your idea. I assume you don't want to include the Falmer craeture either?
Would you be open to seeing decrepit pottery and tools scattered sparsley in ruins that were used by the snow elves?
Interior Reviewer
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby Yeti » Mon May 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Depends on whether the exterior ruins provide enough shelter for pottery and tools to survive the elements without being buried. I'm mainly imagining open-air ruins that only provide the barest of clues as to who built them, sort of like Stonehenge and the Megalithic Temples of Malta.

Postby Tes96 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Yeti wrote:Depends on whether the exterior ruins provide enough shelter for pottery and tools to survive the elements without being buried. I'm mainly imagining open-air ruins that only provide the barest of clues as to who built them, sort of like Stonehenge and the Megalithic Temples of Malta.

Well, you have my vote. :)
Interior Reviewer
Tamriel-Rebuilt

Previous

Return to Lore