Temple of Shor concept and Ebony's value to Nords

This Forum is for general Skyrim/ Tamriel lore...you will find Hold related Lore in the Mod Development section

Temple of Shor concept and Ebony's value to Nords

Postby french ninja » Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 pm

So I was thinking if ebony is the fossilized blood of Shor, one of the most important if not THE most important god of the Nordic pantheon, would it have a sacred quality to it? Now, I'm not saying that they refuse to use ebony weapons or armor, but perhaps during raids into Morrowind, warrior band leaders compete with eachother to see who can "liberate" the most ebony from the dunmer.

Now some would keep these ebony blades and armor and perhaps smelt everything else into martial objects, but maybe the more pious warriors would offer them to the Temples of Shor.

I imagine a hypothetical Temple of Shor as being something very spartan and old. A sizeable circular building made of old dark timbers and massive stone blocks covered with runes. Inside is a large statue of Shor and surrounding his statue are the spoils of war that soldiers and reavers leave in honor of their god. Torn and bloody Redoran banners, chitin weapons, raw and processed ebony objects, jewels, battered Breton knight helms, defaced copies of Lessons of Vivec and other mementos.
The roof is partially open; a circular hole directly over the statue, allowing Kyne to look upon her husband.
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Re: Temple of Shor concept and Ebony's value to Nords

Postby Rattfink333 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:15 am

how about working some ebony into the building itself?
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby Worsas » Sun May 05, 2013 8:26 am

My former idea was to make the temple of shor an underground temple based on the "God of the underworld" title. Ultimately nothing is set in stone though and your idea may work out better.

I'm not entirely set on the locations I suggested in there either.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=285

Postby french ninja » Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Rattfink: I could see that working. Maybe solid ebony with gold inlay runes? Or regular stone with ebony inlay?

Worsas: How about combining the two? Circular building with a tunnel system underneath for crypts and living quarters.

Anyway, its kinda far off except for maybe using Shor statues as statics for exterior and interior modders. I just wanted to write it down before I forget.
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Return to Lore