Reachmen: History, culture and general information

This Forum is for general Skyrim/ Tamriel lore...you will find Hold related Lore in the Mod Development section

Reachmen: History, culture and general information

Postby roerich » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:45 pm

We need a topic to collect, make and organize the lore behind the native faction of the Reach. Please help me putting this together, adding input and making sure that the Reachmen of S:HotN will be more interesting and less shallow than their TES V counterparts. While we have the architecture, clothing, settlements and religion somewhat fleshed out, we could use a place to gather all of this information.

I propose we divide the subject into the following sections:

History
Culture and traditions
Religion and magic
Current affairs
Last edited by roerich on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thane of Interiors

Re: Reachmen: History, culture and general information

Postby roerich » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:45 pm

History

UESP gives us the following information when you do a search on "Reachmen":
The Reachmen, also known as the Witchmen of High Rock, are a tribal group of primarily Breton descent who inhabit the Reach in southwestern Skyrim[1] and the neighboring Western Reach in the east of High Rock.[2] Their ancestry includes not only Bretons, but spreads across many of the known races of Tamriel.[2] They mainly utilize primitive gear and hedge-magic, have a tribal appearance and nature, and typically inhabit makeshift fortresses built into caves and ruins throughout the Reach's battle-scarred landscape.[1][2]

History

The Reachmen have long held that they are the true owners of the Reach, and for centuries have only begrudgingly accepted the rule of the Nords and the Empire.[1]
[edit] Early Society

Following the collapse of the First Empire of the Nords, the Western Reach was retaken by the Aldmeri, who slaughtered the majority of Nord colonists; as a result, the Nordic ancestry of the Reachmen is comparatively weak. The proximity of Reachman settlements to Orcish villages meant that the Reachmen frequently traded goods and customs with their mountain neighbors, and it is partly from the Orcs that the Reachmen learned to use hedge-magic.[2]

The Legend of Red Eagle, an ancient tale from Reach folklore, suggests that during the time of the Alessian Empire, the Reach was ruled by ten kings, and that "though men were free, the people were scattered and warred amongst themselves". The legend also makes reference to the Reachman reverence of "the ancient and venerable Hagravens".
[edit] Invasion of High Rock

In 2E 541, the Reachman Durcorach the Black Drake captured Bangkorai, Evermore and Hallin's Stand. Within days, his army was across the Bjoulsae and bearing down upon Wayrest. Durcorach didn't have siege engines, so after fifty-seven days of besieging Wayrest, he left part of his army around the town's walls and marched off west into Glenumbra. Taken by surprise, the newly-independent city-state of Camlorn fell and was sacked. The Reachmen were defeated near Daggerfall's city gates after being charged from behind by Emeric's Heavy Dragoons.[3]
[edit] Battle of Old Hrol'dan

The Reachmen remained largely independent — although they frequently clashed with the Nords to the east — until the arrival of Tiber Septim at the end of the Second Era.[4] In 2E 852, King Cuhlecain's general successfully broke through the Reachman lines, forcing them to fortify themselves at Old Hrol'dan. The next day he approached the gates of the besieged city, protected by the winds created by a storm following his trail. Reports say that the ancient Nord art of thu'um was used to shout down the walls of Old Hrol'dan, after which the army of Colovian troops and Nord berserkers took the city with relative ease.[4] Markarth and the lands of the Reach were soon occupied by the Nords,[5] while Imperial propaganda branded the Reachmen as rebellious and lawless mongrels.[2]

[...] (The following segment refers to the events of Skyrim, and are obviously of no use for us.)

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Reachmen
Last edited by roerich on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Culture and traditions

Although the Elven Overlords were killed when the Reach was 'freed', Aldmeri blood is still strong in the Reachmen and share many Elven traits. They also learned customs and magic from the Orcs who share the mountains of the Reach.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Western_Reach

Muspila wrote:Society:

Largely based around the idea of a witch matriarch (human or hagraven) associated with each settlement. The way a witch matriarch performs jurisdiction among her people is very much dreaded. So they will mostly avoid her counsel beyond most important matters. By that she performs a very loose but effective leadership. Other than that a matriarch mostly lives on her own, sometimes even being absent from the settlement and seeked out if needed.

Most reachmen live rather self-sufficient in family bands that do not know any other authority but the matriarch. Reachmen „families“ can easily circumpass members of other races when those have been achknowledged by the matriarch. Here ancestry matters less much than ties to the people and the country. Exceptions are Nords or Colovians who will hardly find acceptance in a Reachmen community even if they historically make up a big amount of th

A village mostly consists of one family (tribe) and their matriarch. There is rarely contact or interaction between various settlements. Also each settlement will have a different mindset on different matters greatly impacted by the personality of the respective matriarch. Some communities will be less and some will be more hostile. Some live on hunting and gathering, others on agriculture, others on trading and magical services.

Even if the matriarch holds the power in her community the Reachmen have the concept of a king-like leader, the Konoch. In past times of independence they were ruled by Konochs that united them against their Nord enemies. And there will be Konochs again when they will one day be freed from their Nord- and Imperial surpressors. (Please note that I made up this name on my own, so it is discussable)

Naming
Unless biased against them, people will refer to the tribal people of The Reach just as „The Natives“.
Moreover each community will have an own name, which may translate into „Those at the river bend“ or „people of the canopy“ or „gatherers of the amber“. Assuming there is a Chlochan-Tribe, one member could then be referred to as Clochan-Tribesman or -Tribeswoman.
Last edited by roerich on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Thane of Interiors

Religion and magic

Religion

Xahxes' Gift: The Reachman Creation Myth by french ninja

Magical abilities and knowledge

They also learned customs and magic from the Orcs who share the mountains of the Reach. The Reachmagic is still widely studied although banned by the Mages Guild who fear it as dangerous and wild. Reachmen are often refereed to as the Witchmen of High Rock.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Western_Reach

Muspila wrote:
Reach-Magic

As suggested by the 1st pocket guide, Reach magic could be an adapted form of magic performed by orc wizards but banned by the mages guild for being „a dangerous and wild hedge-wizardry“.

The way I look at this, Reach magic actually does the same thing other magic does but may achieve it by means like involvement of drugs or self-injuring not sanctioned by the mages guild (there may be a more accurate explanation of this around the mages guild of Markarth or Karthwasten). That is possibly a bit clichee, but it would be the most obvious interpretation to me.

As for typical magical effects, I thought about a section of reach magic being based on influencing the state of materials by making it stronger or weaker. Orcs utilize it to create superior orc armor or to fortify the iron gates of Orsinium. Hostile reachmen may often be found to cast damage weapon or damage armor on you. And some remote living witch may have the secret formula for enchanting simple iron to be as strong as adamantium.

Other typical spells could be instilling rage, courage, fear or pain.

A further reason for banning reach magic could be the cruelty of some witch matriarchs and a dangerous and hurtful way her arts are teached to the learner. A most secret and occult area of reach magic is the implanting of briarhearts into the bodies of their warriors to turn them into powerful undead.

Magicka wells

To further show some link between the Reachmen and their Elven ancestry, I propose we occasionally implement a more tribal version of the Ayleid Wells featured in Oblivion. I have tried a few ideas in the Karthwasten Cave claim #06, and I think this looks particularly good. Perhaps wells like this could be added to some sacred Reachmen places in the wilderness, with statues of Magnus and Xarxes around and a place to leave offerings. Reachmen witches and shamans would be able to channel magicka from these wells.
Last edited by roerich on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thane of Interiors

Current affairs
Thane of Interiors

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:54 pm

roerich wrote:Magicka wells

To further show some link between the Reachmen and their Elven ancestry, I propose we occasionally implement a more tribal version of the Ayleid Wells featured in Oblivion. I have tried a few ideas in the Karthwasten Cave claim #06, and I think this looks particularly good. Perhaps wells like this could be added to some sacred Reachmen places in the wilderness, with statues of Magnus and Xarxes around and a place to leave offerings. Reachmen witches and shamans would be able to channel magicka from these wells.

I like this idea, and the one you've made looks quite good. Picture's a bit dark though.
Tes96 wrote:By the Silver Caverns, what exactly is a heightmap?!

Postby Scamp » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Increase brightness in your monitor settings :P
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby roerich » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Added a lot of amazing input by Muspila to the respective topics.
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Reachmen Names

Male:
Anrun, Amrech, Ancudh, Biemuhl, Borrihc, Bhunc, Bercho, Caithar, Cerudh, Carhoc, Codlic, Cunra, Dalnind, Dienac, Dorgav, Darric, Ohrand, Enamahr, Fenh, Garoht, Hamlihn, Hermiel, Herrdan, Huri, Hunrodh, Igal, Jhuri, Kaplach, Kerndanl, Ladach, Leroch, Lumhi, Mandaur, Marach, Muriel, Murwin, Tarcan, Tarwel, Tahtruc, Tenhgil, Weyr, Wurhra

Female:
Aenra, Ainhia, Athre, Barvemi, Banmivara, Cahnia, Cevarca, Cehlinn, Cyhnra
Last edited by roerich on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:00 am

Reachmen faction ranks:

- Forager
- Hunter
- Horseman
- Shaman
- Briarheart
- Mother
- Matriarch
(- Konoch)

Eh. Suggestions?
Thane of Interiors

Postby Yeti » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:46 pm

These look good to me. We probably shouldn't use Shaman though, since it's already a class.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby roerich » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Okay, good. And you're right, Shaman could go. We could use a few ranks between Horseman and Briarheart though (I had an idea that it is a special Reachmen privilege to own and ride a horse, and you'd need to go through some rituals before you were allowed). Something like House Brother, House Father etc.
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:35 pm

What if some of the larger Reachman tribes enslaved goblins? I'm thinking Old Hrol'dan and the like. The Direnni did it. The Ayleids probably did it? The Altmer are still doing it. I had an idea about an enslaved minotaur at Old Hrol'dan as well, with some big slave bracers on, and the fur painted in the colours of the tribe. And some strong domination magic at play. Thoughts?
Thane of Interiors

Postby Yeti » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:53 am

I'm going to say no to this. Seems out of place to me and adds a needless layer to Reachmen culture that it doesn't need to have.

Postby Yeti » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:30 am

I still appreciate you spending the time to come up with and post the idea, roerich. Sorry about my first response here being kind of pointed. I had a ton of work on my plate when I sent it.

Postby roerich » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Oh don't worry, I posted the idea to hear (especially your) thoughts about it, positive or negative. No offense taken.
Thane of Interiors

Postby Griff » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:07 pm

I like the idea, but i am no lore buff maybe in time we could add it in.
Interiors completed: 9

Postby Yeti » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:04 pm

We're not adding it, or at least I don't think we should. There's only so many cultural motifs we can fit into Reachmen culture before it becomes overloaded.

Postby roerich » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:42 pm

I agree. My main intention was to incorporate goblins in other places than just being cave baddies.

In other news, I took a selfie with Trinimac today: http://imgur.com/ppXfLop (This is the statue that Muspila based the Reachmen statues on.)
Thane of Interiors

Postby Scamp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:29 pm

Oh my ohmy, someone posted a picture of themselves on the Interwebs, imma stalk you in RL! HAHAHAA

On a serious note, nice pic. And to avoid being too offtopic:

We should not be doing enslaved goblins, I don't think. To be honest, I think we have established more than enough lore about Reachmen culture already as Yeti has pointed out. A few smaller touches can still be added to our concept, but we shouldn't add anything really big anymore as it's all rather difficult to portray in the actual game if it piles up like that.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Next

Return to Lore