Kreath = Crater ?

Discussion, Exterior-Claims and Interior Claims situated around 'Falkreath'.

Kreath = Crater ?

Postby Worsas » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:13 pm

I had another idea: The Kreath in our Falkreath referring to a crater that marks the face of this hold.
Skyrim = The most rugged province of Tamriel. Therefore that could be a good idea to do this reputation justice.

This will also mean that a heavenly body has fallen down to Nirn at some point and heavenly bodies in TES-lore are always of divine nature. So there would have been a god of old times or something like that who died and fell down to earth. That would be very lore-expanding on our part, though.

And of course there are rare metals found in meteorite-caused craters. My idea is that the People of Kreath meantioned in Adabal were a tribe of nedes that were used by the Ayleids for harvesting metals from a different, long-forgotten crater in the ancient Cyrod. Later when they were freed they were given a new home in today-falkreath by Pelinal where they could pursue their former business of processing crater metals in a new crater but this time as free men.

Today that crater would be filled with water and would be known as Lake Ilinalta, except surrounded by high and steep slopes and cliffs.

Re: Kreath = Crater ?

Postby Praedator » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:25 pm

I quite like this idea, and I think it would be nice to have smaller overgrown craters nearby with lets say corundum ore or something, to simulate an meteor shower, instead of one large impact.

Postby Scamp » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:11 pm

As long as it doesn't take up literally all of the hold, it should be fine. I imagine vegetation would be quite different from other areas, depending on how deep that thing is.
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby Rattfink333 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:26 am

been in forested craters before. other than the sides are slightly steeper than the surrounding hills. and somewhat regular. nothing separates them out. Forested craters erode out fairly quick. if there had not been a sign pointing it out, i wouldn't have noticed.
Paladin of Vaermina

Postby Worsas » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:10 am

It may not be overly realistic but I would rather have something that looks like a fresh crater with steep slopes than yet another lake without making it stand apart in some way. This crater idea did not origin in a desire to squash in some more TES V - Lore too, the possibility to make the crater our version of Lake Ilinalta was an idea that came afterwards.

Postby roerich » Fri May 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Old topic and not really urgent, but I just had an idea which expands upon this discussion:

The crater was not created by a meteor/part of Lorkhan crashing down. The destruction was created by a routing Ayleid army escaping Pelinals wrath, trying to flee to the safety of the Direnni fortresses of the Reach. There are descriptions of Pelinal going into complete and utter raging destruction ("alcoholic wrath" is how MK has described it), destroying parts of the landscape. This could be one of those sites, with Pelinal litteraly decimating a piece of Nirn, destroying the army to the last Mer. The men of Kreath followed Pelinal in this campaign, and decided to settle in the fertile woodland (which they may have had some ancestral claim to?). The scenery would be like a meteor crash; a round depression in the landscape, with craggy rocks reaching up along the edges, of this crater-turned-lake. Local folklore claims that the Ilinalta lake is filled with the wailing souls of the myriad of slain Ayleids, and that their screams can sometimes be heard on misty nights, as the poor Elves relive their torment. Falkreath will be South of the lake, as the Men of Kreath knew better than to place their camp right next to a battlefield.
Thane of Interiors

Postby roerich » Mon May 26, 2014 3:26 pm

1E 242-1E 243
Alessian Slave Rebellion. Timeline:

[...] The Alessians undertake a pogrom in Falkreath, and meet the Nordic forces at the Bridge of Heldon. Falkreath may have been Ayleid at the time, it could have been a borderzone where elves and men mixed.

http://provincecyrodiil.project-tamriel ... 9&start=20
Thane of Interiors

Return to Falkreath