Hold Planning: Falkreath

Discussion, Exterior-Claims and Interior Claims situated around 'Falkreath'.

Hold Planning: Falkreath

Postby roerich » Tue May 27, 2014 8:51 am

While I know this isn't down the way anytime soon, I wanted to post some ideas that I wanted to pin down, and just have a rough concept or a vision of what the hold of Falkreath will be like. This could help implying some more interaction between the cities via dialogue, etc., as well as help us conceptualize the Reach master plan.

Falkreath Hold

Counties:

County Falkreath/Falkrenth
- Falkreath (County seat, Hold capital)
- Neugrad Watch
- Hralen

County Teed
- North Hall (County seat)
- Felstet
- Old Hrol'dan (in theory, though not in practice)

County Helgen
- Helgen (County seat)
- Old Fort
- Oakwood

County Falkrenth

Falkreath
Role: Hold capital
Location: Southernmost Skyrim, close to the end of Jerall mountains
Architecture: Nordic/Colovian
Size: Medium large, 30-40 buildings and a Colovian style fortress, or perhaps a small fortification in the Reman style.
Economy: Hunting, timber, trade, mercenary service
Ruler: King Crantus Ondo (of the influential colovian merchant family that has resided in Falkrenth for hundreds of years, since before it became part of Skyrim)
Factions: Fighter's Guild, Imperial Cult, a local merchant guild etc. I'd like a number of Colovian and Nord families holding power in the city and a Remanite cult as well.

History: Falkreath, Falkrenth, Fal Kreath. Gateway to the North. Falkreath is an ancient city, initially founded by freed slaves (Men of Kreath), but the site was home to an Ayleid outpost before that. See the Kreath=Crater? thread for more. The city was considered Colovian for a long time, but is now part of Skyrim. Do we know when this happened? There has been a lot of fighting nearby (battle of old hrol'dan, battle of pale pass etc.), and I think this should be reflected by putting the odd bone and skull here and there in the woods surrounding Falkreath, sticking out of the grass. Some regions could be named after this, Sanctuary Woods or something in that vein.

Economy: Falkreath hosts a lot of merchants passing through, bound for locations as far away as Jehenna and Haafingar, but more than often heading for Karthwasten, Elinhir, Markarth Side and Whiterun. The markets of Falkreath sees a lot of Skyrim-Cyrodiil trade, but more often than not, the caravans are just looking for safety after/before venturing the harsh climate of the Jeralls. Especially during these conflicted times, a lot of mercenaries and sellswords make their living in Falkreath, offering their services as caravan guards through the hostile lands of the Reach and the Hörme-infested area around Whiterun.

Neugrad Watch
Role: Imperial Legion drilling camp
Architecture: Nordic houses, a small Reman Fortress and palisade walls
Size: Medium small, 15-20 buildings tops. Large barracks and training ground, and a small village of hunters and farmers next to the fort
Economy: Military
Ruler: A jarl in the village? It might be too small. An Imperial Legion commander for the garrison
Factions: Imperial Legion

County Teed

North Hall (needs a new name)
Role: County Seat (as referenced in Fight One of the 7 Fights)
Size: Medium small, 10-20 buildings
Ruler: Count Hrafen
Factions:
Thane of Interiors

Re: City Planning: Falkreath

Postby Yeti » Tue May 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Looks like a solid plan to me, roerich.

This information concerns the two counties that make up Falkreath, though we might benefit from adding a third one. The information is rather old, but I think it could still be applicable.
8) County Teed (as referenced in Fight One of the 7 Fights)
County Seat: North Hall
Ruler: Count Hrafen

9) County Falkrenth
County Seat: Falkrenth
Settlements: Neugard Watch
Ruler: King Crantus Ondo (of the influential colovian merchant family that has resided in Falkrenth for hundreds of years, since before it became part of Skyrim)

I think the king should definitely be a Colovian Imperial. Making him such will add some variety to the Hold kings, the rest of whom will be Nords.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby roerich » Tue May 27, 2014 5:43 pm

That sounds fine as well! A third, smaller, county could be Helgen - an emerging trading post/tavern and stables hamlet in our timeline, smaller than Karthgad.

A Colovian King (and an Ondo at that) sounds fine with me, but the city council could be mix between Colovian and Nordic traditions, with influential Nord and Colovian families in the town.

There should be a lot of barrows (both Nord and Worsas' Colovian ones) in the outskirts of the city and in the nearby terrain, and the landscape should show signs of many battles.

Edit: Updated the main post.
Thane of Interiors

Postby Worsas » Tue May 27, 2014 8:39 pm

Nice drawing there! I like how it approaches the hold in a more atmospheric way than the earlier maps. Nevertheless, as far as I'm aware, Helgen and the Pale Pass aswell as Snow Throat/Old Hrothgar should be both much farther east.

Here French Ninja (upon my request) made a draft for locations and cities in the province. It is just a draft, but gives an idea of the dimensions we deal with:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=265

Judging from that map, the reach canyons should maybe continue a little bit into falkreath in order to have something going in the upper half of the hold.
Lestat and me had some talk on the region in the past, details of which I do not remember in completeness right now. I know we wanted (or I suggested) to have some green pasturage leading up the highlands, but also certainly snow from a certain heightlevel on. We also have a new set of rocks for the jerall mountains going.

I do not know what has been done in this hold already regarding heightmapping and other preparations (ground textures, etc) apart from a bunch of trees, plants and rocks I made for the hold years ago.

Edit: You should rename this thread, so it is clear that this discussion is not only on the city itself but the complete hold.

Postby roerich » Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks! That makes sense (about Pale Pass and Helgen), I used one of the older, more undetailed maps for reference, and it felt odd with me as well. The mountain chain to the East should be moved further East, and High Hrothgar as well, but that could easily be done. The Jeralls should finish somewhere South of Elinhir and Falkreath, so it wouldn't make sense that Pale Pass should be such a strategic point, if you could just go the other way around instead.

I like the green pasturage going into the highlands idea. A nice mix of Falkreaths pine forests meeting the highlands that characterize both easternmost Hammerfell, the southern Reach and Colovia.

Edit: I'll expand on french ninja's map and make it more detailed/up to date.
Thane of Interiors

Postby Scamp » Wed May 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Hmm, does it really have to be called County Falkrenth? Is that mentioned in lore somewhere? It does sound a little odd to me... apart from that, I am afraid it can be very easily mistaken for the actual hold it's part of.

roerich wrote:[...]Falkreaths pine forests[...]

So what kind of pine forests? The lush kind we have seen in TES:V or something more similar to what we can see in Vorndgad Forest?
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Re: Hold Planning: Falkreath

Postby Worsas » Wed May 28, 2014 1:42 pm

I think that Falkreath should feature a mixed forest slightly similar to how we have got it in the Reach. Back then when Falkreath was still being worked on, I wanted to introduce some oaks from vurts westgash mod, I remember. At some place, (Oblivion dialogue?) it was said that the oaks of the jerall mountains provided the Nords of Bruma with high quality wood. Though I don't think we should create many more large forests, except maybe where the towns Oakwood and Riverwood are on the Arena Map.

Re: Hold Planning: Falkreath

Postby roerich » Wed May 28, 2014 7:54 pm

New WIP map:

Keep in mind that Felstet and Hralen are intended to be hamlets, like the mesa village, 5-8 buildings.
Thane of Interiors

Return to Falkreath