Technical Discussion about Hardware and Software

Re: Technical Discussion about Hardware and Software

by Tes96 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:28 am

I will be placing a phone order to GenTechPC tomorrow for the Sager NP8150. I want to know how well this machine will render SHOTN once we have dozens of exterior cells completed, filled with NPCs(with scripts attached) and flora. I'm envisioning the major cities of Skyrim to be bustling and busy, like Assassin's Creed style. And as we all know, NPCs with scripts can make a CPU run hot. Any ways, here is the setup I'm buying:

Sager NP8150
15.6" LED, 95% NTSC Color Gamut, Anti-Glare
Intel i7-2860QM, 2.5-3.6GHz, 32nm, 8MB cache
2GB GeForce GTX 580M
8GB RAM @ 1600MHz
IC Diamond coolant paste

I like this laptop a lot because it has a 15.6" screen. The GPU is good for games like The Witcher 2 but I'm not sure if the CPU clock speed will be enough when using MGE XE and rendering SHOTN. Even though the 2860QM is 4 cores, Morrowind will only use up to 100% of one core. So it's pretty much like having a single-core machine clocked at 2.5-3.6GHz.
Interior Reviewer
Skyrim: Home of the Nords
Province: Cyrodiil
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

by Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:38 pm

I can't talk about Laptops since I'm a dedicated desktop user, I have a similar Hardware, but more specific for overclocking.

My Hardware:

Intel i7 2600K (overclocked 4.5Ghz)
Board: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
2 x Nvidea GTX 460 (SLI)
8 GB RAM

The reason why I'm always sceptical about Laptops is overheating. I have 4 Fan's to cool down my hardware, but I can't tell you anything how the cooling system works in a Laptop.

From the hardware you've mentioned it is able to handle every new game and ShotN easily I guess and if your system isn't overclocked the risk of overheating shouldn't be very high.

Maybe some dedicated Laptop/ Notebook user could help you more if it comes to the question how this hardware works in a Laptop. ;)
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

by Rattfink333 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:10 am

i run an older laptop. but i have a friend with i video carded laptop. the key is still airflow. make sure and get a real good fan pad. otherwise it'll fry.
Paladin of Vaermina

by Tes96 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:12 am

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:I can't talk about Laptops since I'm a dedicated desktop user, I have a similar Hardware, but more specific for overclocking.

My Hardware:

Intel i7 2600K (overclocked 4.5Ghz)
Board: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
2 x Nvidea GTX 460 (SLI)
8 GB RAM

The reason why I'm always skeptical about Laptops is overheating. I have 4 Fan's to cool down my hardware, but I can't tell you anything how the cooling system works in a Laptop.

From the hardware you've mentioned it is able to handle every new game and ShotN easily I guess and if your system isn't overclocked the risk of overheating shouldn't be very high.

Maybe some dedicated Laptop/ Notebook user could help you more if it comes to the question how this hardware works in a Laptop. ;)

Nice set up. Will you be updating to the i7-3960x processor/X79 platform? How about the GeForce GTX 700 series in Q2 2012? I read either on overclock.net or notebookreview.com that nVidia will be skipping the 600 series and going straight into 700.
I personally don't really care too much for the people on overclock.net because they don't understand or play old games like Morrowind. They're all into modern games, or games from 5 years ago at most. They don't care for old games like Morrowind or Daggerfall, I think mostly because those games are irrelevant to what they are doing. That's my bias any ways.

Hah, I couldn't overclock even if I picked the i7-2960XM with its unlocked multiplier. Get this, Clevo/Sager locks their freakin BIOS so that the user cannot change the clock speed on their CPU. Isn't that ridiculous? There are BIOS mods that people have made that allowed them to change settings, though.

I was originally thinking of getting the M18x because it has dual 580m SLI and 2960xm which you can most definitely overclock up to 5.0GHz. Although I don't think they use that IC Diamond paste but I've heard that paste only makes a couple degrees centigrade difference any ways. What type of coolant do you use on your CPU and GPU, Lestat?

What I find interesting about the new Ivy Bridge coming out is that it will have 22 nanometer transistors. (That means the transistors are 22 nanometers apart from one another, right?). Intel's Haswell will supposedly have the same microarchitecture as Ivy-Bridge when it is released in 2013 so I don't see what the big deal is about that. Now, Skylake microarchitecture looks impressive as it will have 14nm spaced transistors. By the White Wolf, Lestat, we'll soon be getting into the picometer range, huh?

Rattfink333 wrote:i run an older laptop. but i have a friend with i video carded laptop. the key is still airflow. make sure and get a real good fan pad. otherwise it'll fry.
If you look at this webpage for the Malibal P150HM (which is the same as Sager NP8150), they offer either the "Cooler Master NotePal U3 Notebook Cooler" or the "NZXT CRYO LX Aluminum Notebook Cooler". But I don't think I would buy from them. I'll probably go on notebookreview and ask what is the best notebook cooler to buy. But that is a good point you brought up, Rattfink.
Interior Reviewer
Skyrim: Home of the Nords
Province: Cyrodiil
Tamriel-Rebuilt
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

by Lestat DeLioncourt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:23 pm

I don't plan to upgrade my current system the next 3-4 years. Sandy Bridge works perfect for me at the moment and my PC already has much more power than I actually need,

For details like the cooling paste and stuff I have to ask my mate who always build my gaming PCs, I'll never tried it by myself since it would take 10 years or more until I'll get the same experience as my mate.
Intels new developments look pretty awesome, but in most cases the newest technology is far too expensive. For example Intels Hexacore i7 Extreme cost 3 times more than the i7 2600K but doesn't work 3 times better. I chose the i7 2600K (Quadcore) because this CPU had all the features that are useful for me and the chipset from my board fits the 2600K perfect and makes overclocking pretty easy and save.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Previous

Return to General Discussion